snow, ice and sub zero temps

ICE, Equipment, Options
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="AlleyCat"]Well it's certainly caused by the snow.I was in the middle of a heavy and sticky snowfall this morning and it failed after about 10 or 15 minutes of continuous snow. When i finally managed to pull over to have a look the entire front of the car was plastered with snow. I did speak to the service department at my dealer yesterday and nobody else had called to mention this happening. They've never had any failures / warnings in passing comment other than one, which was a total failure of the system which they had to replace.So either other people choose to ignore it or my car is like splanks and qash and a bit special...[/QUOTE]
All cars do the same. For those who say they have no problems with EFB (e.g. in heavy snow) rather they didn't drive their car in such conditions or they are lying. The physics simply apply if you like it or not. Exceptional cases when EFB functionality is limited is mentioned I guess in User Owner Manual too.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="duncho"][quote="AlleyCat"]Well it's certainly caused by the snow.I was in the middle of a heavy and sticky snowfall this morning and it failed after about 10 or 15 minutes of continuous snow. When i finally managed to pull over to have a look the entire front of the car was plastered with snow. I did speak to the service department at my dealer yesterday and nobody else had called to mention this happening. They've never had any failures / warnings in passing comment other than one, which was a total failure of the system which they had to replace.So either other people choose to ignore it or my car is like splanks and qash and a bit special...[/QUOTE]
All cars do the same. For those who say they have no problems with EFB (e.g. in heavy snow) rather they didn't drive their car in such conditions or they are lying. The physics simply apply if you like it or not. Exceptional cases when EFB functionality is limited is mentioned I guess in User Owner Manual too. [/QUOTE]More likely they don't complain - fairly obvious result really?
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
duncho

Post by duncho »

It's not that they do not complain, but they say their car doesn't have such symptoms. PRECAUTIONS FOR FORWARD EMERGENCY BRAKING The forward emergency braking system is a supplemental aid to the driver. It is not a replacement for the driver"s attention to traffic conditions or responsibility to drive safely. It cannot prevent accidents due to carelessness or dangerous driving techniques.The forward emergency braking system does not function in all driving, traffic, weather and road conditions.The automatic braking will cease under the following conditions: When the steering wheel is turned as far as necessary to avoid a collision. When the accelerator pedal is depressed. When there is no longer a vehicle detected ahead.If the forward emergency braking system has stopped the vehicle, the vehicle will remain at a standstill for approximately 2 seconds before the brakes are released.The system will not detect the following objects: Pedestrians, animals, or obstacles in the roadway Oncoming vehicles in the same lane Crossing vehiclesThe radar sensor has some performance limitations. For stationary vehicles, the forward emergency braking system can function at speeds up to approximately 70 km/h (45 MPH). The radar sensor may not detect a vehicle ahead in the following conditions: Dirt, ice, snow or other material covering the radar sensor. Interference by other radar sources. Snow or road spray from traveling vehicles. If the vehicle ahead is narrow (e.g.motorcycle) When driving on a steep downhill slope or roads with sharp curves. In some road or traffic conditions, the forward emergency braking system may unexpectedly push the accelerator pedal up or apply partial braking. When acceleration is necessary, continue to depress the accelerator pedal to override the system. Braking distances increase on slippery surfaces. Excessive noise will interfere with the warning chime sound, and the chime may not be heard.

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

[quote="PeterL"]More likely they don't complain - fairly obvious result really?[/QUOTE]I didn't complain.I asked a question.There is a distinction between asking a question and a complaint.At no point in all of this little discussion have i said i was upset about what happened just curious.It doesn't say anywhere in my manual that a very small covering of snow will make the system chuck its legs in the air and the response from the service department that i should bring it in to be looked at suggests maybe they don't think it should either (or have enough experience to know).I said I'd leave it on the basis i suspected the snow was the cause and see if i happened again (which it did this morning).I'm more surprised that nobody else would ask a simple question of tech on their car when it's specifically already had a recall notice on it for that very item of tech?I've limited knowledge of what the recall did / was to fix and possibly crap snow performance was the recall reason?Edit: as Duncho has kindly posted - where does it say it turns itself off in that bit of text? It says it may not detect, not it will fail and turn itself off.The radar sensor may not detect a vehicle ahead in the following conditions: Dirt, ice, snow or other material covering the radar sensor. Interference by other radar sources. Snow or road spray from traveling vehicles.
AlleyCat2015-02-04 11:41:53
Nissan no more...
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

No need to take these things personally - if the cap fits wear it wouldn't be a bad mantra for this Forum.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

[quote="PeterL"]No need to take these things personally - if the cap fits wear it wouldn't be a bad mantra for this Forum.[/QUOTE]I'm not taking anything personally.You made an inflammatory remark that i am in some way a complainer on the basis i'd asked some questions.I've merely pointed out that i didn't complain but asked a question of my dealer / service department.I've passed on that information in the hopes that a) it may be interesting to others and b) that the dealer believes it should not have behaved in said manor.It would appear, based on other peoples responses, that under certain conditions the "failure" (for want of a better term) happens to other cars and is probably normal given the prevailing circumstances.I'm quite happy to wear my "question things" cap.
Nissan no more...
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="AlleyCat"]I didn't complain.I asked a question.
[/QUOTE]
Apologies AlleyCat, I didn't want to point on someone, I only stated those who denies the facts. I even haven't read the whole thread. Cheers

PeterL

Post by PeterL »

I wouldn't normally take the time to go through this but I'm just a little worried as to why you are upset by my comment. Let me go through this with my thought process...AlleyCat wrote:Well it's certainly caused by the snow. Totally agree it isI
was in the middle of a heavy and sticky snowfall this morning and it
failed after about 10 or 15 minutes of continuous snow. To be expectedWhen i finally
managed to pull over to have a look the entire front of the car was
plastered with snow. makes sense, it was snowing heavily I did speak to the service department at my dealer
yesterday and nobody else had called to mention this happening. Why would they?They've
never had any failures / warnings in passing comment other than one,
which was a total failure of the system which they had to replace. OKSo either other people choose to ignore it - that's what I would expect anywayor my car is like splanks and qash and a bit special...Your car(s) might be special as indeed might be the drivers or there again perhaps the effect of the snow is the same for everyone?Accuse me of being flippant by all means, I willingly admit that did find it amusing and not at all serious. Perhaps that's me - sorry to have upset you.
TeknaBJ

Post by TeknaBJ »

It concerns me to read some of the above comments as a very new member of this forum. Not all of us are as confident with regard to expressing concerns about our vehicles and this does not help. Having said that I have received very helpful advice in the past but have to admit to using the private message facility at times to spare my blushes
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I was driving home from work today when it started to snow a little. After about 5 mins the car reported the Forward Collision Avoidance System was unavailable. There was hardly any snow at all, quite disappointing for it to fail with a small snowfall. The good thing was that it cleared itself after a few miles.