snow, ice and sub zero temps

ICE, Equipment, Options
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Took the qq out last night for the first time in falling snow.
Just after a mile or so the warning light came on along with an audible warning saying that the Forward Collision Avoidance System was unavailable . There was also a short message flash up on the info screen, wording to the effect that the radar sensor may be obstucted. The warning light stayed on until the engine was switched off. After re starting the ignition the warning was replicated after about 30 seconds. Im assuming this relates to the latest recall notice. The radar sensor appears to be sensing falling snow, similar to the way that radar picked up 'chaff' during the war. Lets hope the recall notice has the answer to this problem.
Its been zero degrees all day today and just been out in the car. I couldnt open the door using the button on the door handle...it had frozen solid. I could possibly have forced it, but didnt want to damage it, so had to unlock the car using the key fob. Just be aware.
The Blind Spot Warning lights came on straight away and stayed on for about 5 miles. The rear camera was working and totally clear, so the BSW should have worked properly, so I wonder what the issue is with this system as well.
Anyone else had similar issues either relating to snow, rain, fog, freezing temperatures or indeed low level sunlight etc. Let's try to build up a picture of what problems are occurring

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Ps....no issue at all with condensation on the panoramic roof, following my usual routine.
duncho

Post by duncho »

There was -6'C overe here and when I drove it for a few miles while it warmed up a little bit, I experienced strong rattle behind the dashboard and squeezing panoramic roof.
What worries me much more is problem with battery charging system. I had to jump start my car twice already! Today I took out the battery and charged it fully (12,65V on open terminals measured at room temperature). I went to spa tonight (2x 20km) and after I got home, I measured the battery voltage again. It had 12,36V only, which represents charge at about 50% of its capacity (70Ah /2 = 35Ah). Idle drain current is 12mA only, which makes me feel that battery charging system is faulty. Monitoring of the battery voltage during car driving confirmed oscilation of the battery voltage from 12,82V to 14,45V. It oscilates without any change of electricity consumption (manual heating, lights on, radio off). Anyone has the same experience?
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I too experienced a slight creaking noise from the panoramic roof. I just put it down to the ice on the outside cracking. Hope that's all it was.
Going in for the Forward Collision Avoidance update in the next couple of weeks, although Nissan now call it Forward Emergency Breaking.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here is some feedback :
Friday was some light snow temps down to -5A°C and this frooze pretty quickly :

Saturday was down to -6A°C. First problem was the iKey Door Button was frozen, soaked this with a De-Icer soaked cloth it then opened. Along the whole Door Frame Top to Window was frozen snow (Do NOT Open Windows until thawed out). After the Mirror Modification that now stays in the Open position so there were no problems experienced with "Crunching Noises".
On getting inside firstly I started the QQ then switched on the Front/Rear Screen Heaters, set the Heating to 26A°C and the Blower to almost Max. and then directed the Side Dash Vents towards the Side Windows within the Auto Shut Down period of the Front Heater after 4 mins the front and rear screens, mirrors and 80% of the Side Windows were clear :

Start After 4 mins

During this warmup period I went around with a soaked De-Icer Cloth and cleaned all of the relevant Cameras and Warning Beepers and on driving absolutely no problems experienced.
Now I needed Petrol (very low) and so I tried to open the Petrol Flap - a Big No Go !, tried spraying hinge and lock areas from outside - No Go ! Eventually I had to wait until the Red Thing in the Sky appeared then it opened. I then sprayed the Hinge and the Locking Mechanism Plunger liberally with WD40 and a Silicon Spray and it did open this morning again at -6A°C.

So what do we learn, in winter it is better to keep the tank topped up !
Hope this is of some help - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Thanks for another informative post!

duncho reported on the other forum that there appears to be a heater fitted to his car in the heater matrix and is investigating. His is a derv engine, I wonder if the petrol engines have it, but given they quickly heat up anyway...

I dislike leaving the car to idle until it's defrosted, idle isn't great for the engine when cold. Low oil pressure, and takes longer for the engine to heat up meaning increase ware to the engine.

As for the fuel filler cap, it's been a problem on all other 'keyless' fuel filler caps I have had with a good frost, esp if there has been a bit of rain recently! Not much you can really do about it. Although interesting about the ikey door button, again I suppose a bit of water behind it that's frozen locks it up. At least you can open it via the remote fob!

I personally do not like de-icer as I'm sure I read somewhere the chemicals in it can speed up corrosion of bodywork. Granted in an emergancy it's useful.SplanK2014-12-28 09:25:21
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

Excellent advise Dave, and will take action today as we are expecting to be -4c tonight. Duncho, your battery sounds very much like the problem we had from new when the car would not start on the first two mornings of ownership. The RAC found the voltage had dropped and it was not holding a charge. Our dealer ran their own checks and found a faulty cell in the battery. A new battery was fitted and no problems since. I wonder if their was a faulty batch used on the production line. Our car was built in May 2014.
F1 Bob2014-12-28 09:34:39
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Splank, I understand your comment on Chemical Corrosion. All I can say is that I believe we get a little more harsh weather here than the UK and if you do not use it you end up with deep scratches on the windows which in the Summer is a Nightmare. Now you use this De-Icer liberally it is not like washing the car it is used on a soaked Cloth !. We have used this method on our previous Micra/Note/Juke over the yeras and at every Nissan Inspection the Body Work is inspected for the Nissan Guarantee and is signed off - never had a problem.
I use anything that helps prevent freezing problems : Door Lock De-Icer, Graphite Powder in the Locks, Rubber Protection etc. and have never experienced problems - perhaps I am lucky !
My name in the Industry was "Hawkeye" and I have never seen any problems of rusting from the sprays - Could be wrong though Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

DaveBerlin, was that using the Webasto or without. How much difference does it make?
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

Yesterday morning (around 11am) i was quite surprised how much condensation there was on various surfaces in the car. I had left the panoramic roof shade open which is the default position for me. It had been a reasonably cold night (+2 down to zero) with some light snow.
The roof and all other glass windows were covered by condensation as were the shiney plastics on the dash. The instrument pod was covered to the point where numbers could not be seen unless the lights were on. There was also a very condensed/damp patch either side of where the front doors snugg up to the dash when closed. Took about 3-5 mins for windows, 10 mins for the condensation to clear from the dash and about the same for the roof. Door cards and sides of dash still wet after parking 20mins later.
I wouldn't describe the car as damp. The carpets are dry as is the upholstery so its a bit unusual. Its not the first time i have noticed the windows fogged up or fogging over suddenly over the last month or so but this was much more. I'll get a few photo's next time.Eddzilla2014-12-28 10:09:41