Black Alloy Gators fitted

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
iMike

Post by iMike »

19" Tekna alloys
1.2DiGT Tekna Storm white, Premium chrome pack

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

iMike, they are looking good QQ is getting better and better. I hope when they install my Rim RingZ they look as good - nice Job Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

IIt might seem a silly question but do these gators survive Tyre changes?
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

yes they are reusable; hang on to fitting instructions though, as fitters at tyre depot may not have come across. Also remember you need some instant glue, when refitting for the joiner trim piece.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

I ought to have read the FAQs on their web site. You remove it before the tyre is removed. I assumed that the glue might be permanent. Obviously it is not. Their reply about diamond cut wheels is interesting though.Q. Can AlloyGator be used on Machine Polished/Diamond Cut Alloy WheelsThe
"AlloyGator" alloy wheel rim protectors are not recommended for machine
polished or diamond cut alloy wheels. Although fitting the product will
provide superior protection against kerb damage, due to existing
imperfections in the lacquered wheel surface our product may increase
the risk of moisture retention and accelerate wheel degradation.
Providing there is no minute damage to the wheel surface, fitting the
"AlloyGator" wheel rim protectors will not cause damage on its own,
however AlloyGator Limited accepts no liability if the product when
fitted causes such damage. Taking the above into account, we do still
have many customers with machine polished wheels, that choose to use
alloygators to protect their wheels.

J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I really cant see how these would work. They are only protecting a small area of the alloy and only project a tiny tiny amount. Usually there is a lot of force when it comes to hitting a curb even at low speed so surely it will just compress/give way and just scratch higher up?! Has anybody had any experience with hitting a curb with these installed yet?
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="SplanK"]
I really cant see how these would work. They are only protecting a small area of the alloy and only project a tiny tiny amount. Usually there is a lot of force when it comes to hitting a curb even at low speed so surely it will just compress/give way and just scratch higher up?! Has anybody had any experience with hitting a curb with these installed yet?[/QUOTE]What a good question, look forward to the answers.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Deleted User 759

Ok, im bored at work... http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... p2f0nNisSo, seems as though I have answered my own question. Looks like they project more than the pictures above suggest (probably because of the colour), and they will take the brunt of most "parking to close to the kerb" hits. I suspect they wont hold up to a decent whack, or protect against very tall slanted kerbs where the top is further out compared to the bottom, or a rock but looks like they do offer protection from the "common" type of kerbing.
Deleted User 759

iMike, could you do us a "top down" picture as such, something to show how proud they sit off the surface of the alloy?
iMike

Post by iMike »

i hope this helps.
1.2DiGT Tekna Storm white, Premium chrome pack