Downgrading 19 to 17

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
mrlazy

Post by mrlazy »

Morning All Just about to push the button on a 1.5 Tekna & wondered if anyone had downgraded the 19" Alloys to the standard 17" ones (found on the Acenta)? Due to a combination of ride quality & kerbing, I'd prefer the smaller size. Dealers don't seem to be too forthcoming on my options & whether it's possible. Also, I don't want the extra expense of the 17" Snowflake ones.Ta

andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

A few people have done so I think. But I believe you need to buy them first, then sell the originals.
tekna cvt mag red
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

There is evidence that smaller wheel give a better ride due to the higher profile tyres. When I had the Elegance Yeti there were a number of buyers who specified the smaller wheels fitted by the manufacturers and they said the car rode better. However, Skoda closed this facility and the only way around it was to buy a set of smaller wheels and tyres.It may be worth contacting Nissan customer services to see if they can offer anything, but with orders continuing to grow and delays building, I cannot see them making this available. Nissan wheels are expensive, it may be better too purchase a set from a wheel dealer and try and sell the Tekna ones as there will be plenty of owners damaging theirs. The only other problem you will have is the cost of new 17 inch "W" rated tyres
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
hobo22

Post by hobo22 »

Hi my dealer gave me the option of 19 or 17" wheels and took a extra 500 off the priceI opted for the 17"I had the car 1.6 tekna CVT for 3 weeks have done 600 odd miles and it drives greatkerbed it last week and no damage to the wheelI think I made the right choicebut the 19" do look better
1.6 Tekna CVT Pearlescent White 17" wheels
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

That's great news for me. My dealer told me to stick to 19 inch and unwise to use 17. I was asking about getting some 17 inch wheels for winter tyres.
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

Would fitting non Nissan wheels invalidate the warranty? This is the first new car I have bought since 1980.
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I would be very surprised if it invalidated any warranty. I would like to know your dealers reason to stick with the 19"'s though? I do think the car looks better on 19"s though, 17" looks too small., but that's more personal opinion! I suspect at the moment until things calm down a little, the dealers are stuck with what they get from Nissan rather than giving you options on the wheels as they will then have to deal with the ones that are taken off.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

These comments were from a motoring journal:Low profile tyres - they give terrific grip and the big alloys look really nice, but there are issues... If you have anything less than smooth well maintained tarmac roads, you will feel EVERY bump! if the local roads are far from perfect, but they are good on nice stretches of smooth tarmac. Overall, the thrills, grip, good breaking and extra control are worth the loss of comfort. The choice really comes down to what you drive on most of the time. Road noise can be an issue with ultra low profiles too, especially if you have cheaper tyres. If you can affort to put Continentals or one of the other premium rubber tyres, road noise (and grip!) improve/s a lot. Trouble is realy good low profile tyres ARE expensive Disadvantages are:Much more road noiseA stiffer ride, far harder than conventional tyresMore resistance to aquaplaning due to the amount of rubber on the roadPriceThe key advantages of low profile tyres are:Better handling and gripFar superior traction and braking power compared to ordinary tyresLooksHowever a problem that arises is that lack of pressure can cause serious damage to tyres and is usually not obvious to the driver as the car still tends to behave normally even if the tyre is deflated or even flat. Once the tyre has been damaged due to deflation it is usually irreparable

jonceebee2014-06-19 16:32:40
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
aublick

Post by aublick »

I downgraded from 19'' to 17''. At the time it was not an easy decision to make as I did not get any additional discount on that, but now I'm really happy to have done so. After having done around 7000 km with the car, I'm aware that I would have damaged my shiny 19'' at least twice by now. No damage on 17'' since the alloy is much more protected by the tire. Also, if you ever intend to drive on any unsealed road, it makes much more sense to do so on 17''.Bottom line - yes, 19'' are nicer and fancier, but as someone has already stated here, you don't see it from the inside while driving. And 17'' are much more convenient. So it's up to you whether you prefer fancy or convenient (and you are not to be blamed for either of those choices).If you decide for 17'' in the end, try toget some price off for it, if possible, or try to find someone ordering an AP or lower trim who would like to swap. There is plenty of guys and gals out there who prefer having 19'', I just didn't have the time nor will do do such trade offs.BR,AuB.
Tekna 1.5 dCi Magnetic Red
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Jon, how is resistance to aquaplaning a disadvantage?
tekna cvt mag red