Changing wheel size from what comes with the car

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

I have just ordered a QQ Tekna 4WD with 19 inch wheelsFor the winter I would like to fit 17 inch wheels with winter tyresI was told at the dealer that I should not change the wheel size as the car was set up for 19 inch wheelsThe did offer to change the tyres for me for free but I was under the impression that lower profile tyres are not as good in the snow and 19 inch winter tyres are not as easy or cheap to buyI have never been told this about the Kuga which I am at present drivingDoes anyone know whether I can safely change to 17 inch for the winter?
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

There is no reason why you can't, you just need the correct profile tyre. From factory there is no difference in overall diameter between 19" and 17" because of the profile of tyre.

With 4wd you do need to be careful that you are within tolerances regarding size and even ware as anything beyond the tolerances can cause the diffs to a bit funny!

I would be after a more technical explanation as to why you can't change them rather than 'the car is set up for it', you have to understand that the guys on the shop floor don't really know much about the car. When was looking to buy a QQ, we looked at the 1.2, initially thought it was supercharged due to having the supercharged micra, the sales guy didn't correct and I asked to see the engine, spied the lack of belt and realised there was a turbo there instead!SplanK2014-06-15 11:39:07
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

I agree with you about the lack of knowledge, I wondered if I was being fed bulls**t hence asking if anyone here with more knowledge might be able to put me straight.I can remember salesmen not knowing whether a Kuga was 2 or 4WD and not knowing how to find out.A simple look underneath would suffice.
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
hobo22

Post by hobo22 »

I got my QQ 1.6 Tekna 3 weeks ago I was given to option of 19 in or 17 in wheelsi opted for the 17 in and it drives fine nice and smooth
1.6 Tekna CVT Pearlescent White 17" wheels