Puncture Repair Gunk and Motability

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

Spoke to Motability earlier today about what happens in the event of a puncture.The RAC will attend as normal, they will assess whether or not to use the sealant (Nissan Roadside say the RAC won't use the sealant). If they don't use it they will arrange transport of the vehicle and the driver/passengers to the nearest Kwik Fit.If there isn't a local Kwik Fit or if it's closed they will transport the driver/passengers home and recover the car later, no details of where they will take it or what happens after that. Personally I'd prefer them to transport both myself and the vehicle home so I can call out a Kwik Fit mobile fitter the next day.Obviously all this is going to take a lot longer than someone coming out, changing the wheel and getting you on your way.
phaedra2014-04-29 17:53:33
Goodbye Qashqai, Hello Ford Kuga, much quieter ride and a decent sound system :)

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

welcome back to stoneage eha puncture going somewhere in evening now forces you home and try the journey another dayall for want of cost of a second hand spare tyre
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

Indeed, also the vastly increased cost to the RAC!.How much cheaper it must be to have a single person attend and spend 30mins changing a wheel compared to having to arrange vehicle recovery and the transport of the driver & passengers etc.
phaedra2014-04-29 18:21:34
Goodbye Qashqai, Hello Ford Kuga, much quieter ride and a decent sound system :)
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

if the RAC refuse to use the gunk id never use it clearly they saying the product long term has no fit placeIts worth buying a old second hand set and hoping you never have to use it, a puncture is a enough to upset a night if changed but to return home on back of a towtruck would just ruin the night
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

That's the reason I have bought a wheel and tyre set plus jacking kit etc. If you don't have a wheel to change they will take you to Kwik Fit, how long will all that take ? you will probably be waiting at least 45 mins, another 45 mins whilst they lift your car onto their vehicle. Drive to Kwik Fit at least 30 mins if one is local and they are open. Then hanging around at Kwik Fit whilst they repair the tyre (who knows how long) Probably most of the day gone.I do not like the sound of, if Kwik Fit closed they will take you home and collect the car later, the car could be in a dodgy area or somewhere where it could be broken into or run into or vandalised.Then the following day I assume you make your own way to Kwik Fit where ever that may be, another day and at what cost to yourself to get there. For the sake of £204 for the spare and kit, I would rather call them out fit the spare and you are on your way to your own choice of tyre repairers...This is becoming a no brainer in my opinion
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

I agree, a spare of some sort would be a much better option. My last 2 Motability cars both had space saver tyres so to be honest I never gave it a thought when I was looking for this one.While £200 isn't exactly a fortune for a lot of people it's still a lot to find, it took me 2 years to save enough for the Advance Purchase price of my QQ.Unfortunately with Motability Kwik Fit have the sole contract for tyre repairs/replacements, I've found them to be absolutely useless, it took 3 trips to my local one for them to be able to find a slow leak. I was told twice that there was nothing wrong with it even though I offered to show them video of the car standing overnight where you could see the wing mirror drop over time as the tyre deflated!. Luckily I found it as I parked in the rain and could hear it bubbling so rotated the wheel and marked it with nail varnish!.
korky

Post by korky »

Guys just a word of caution....I'm not sure the £200 includes the spacer. I think they are extra and around £150 therefore potentially pushing price to circa £350
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

[quote="korky"]Guys just a word of caution....I'm not sure the £200 includes the spacer. I think they are extra and around £150 therefore potentially pushing price to circa £350[/QUOTE]
What do you mean by spacer being so expensive. I had this reply earlier in the day before I ordered, claims £16.50 per side when available, but not really needed.

Hi
Jon,

The
additional spacers are not a necessity as their job is to allow storage of the
tools. However you could use your own means of storage for the tools.

We
have a small tool bag as part of the kit which can hold the small items. It is
the larger items i.e Jack, that would require either wrapping in something and
possibly placing in the centre of the space saver. The choice is yours!

Alternatively
when stock is available for the additional foams we will make them available to
purchase online. Current Retail Price £16.50+vat each.

I
hope this helps.

Regards

Allan Perkins

QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
korky

Post by korky »

That's fab that you've got that in writing about them being £16.50...I had heard that they were expensive.

One thing tho is they are defo needed if you are going to use the lower boot. We have the wheel in the QQ and without spacers there is nothing supporting the front corners of the carpet. So whilst the middle is sitting on the wheel / tyre nothing supports the edges, therefore anything placed there will just sink the carpet
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

[quote="korky"]That's fab that you've got that in writing about them being £16.50...I had heard that they were expensive.One thing tho is they are defo needed if you are going to use the lower boot. We have the wheel in the QQ and without spacers there is nothing supporting the front corners of the carpet. So whilst the middle is sitting on the wheel / tyre nothing supports the edges, therefore anything placed there will just sink the carpet[/QUOTE]
I'm going to look at layering some carpet tiles cut to shape and stuck together to bring up the height to act as a way of eliminating the corner sags. I have done this before with some good effect and they offer a strong base when stuck together. B & M retail sell black carpet tiles 12mm thick and would work pretty well I think.