Screeching noise coming from rear wheels

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
aublick

Post by aublick »

Hello everyone,I have made roughly 150 miles with my new QQ (I've been away for some time since the delivery, so I had only a few days driving). Yesterday I have noticed a screeching sound coming from rear wheels (cannot determine if from both or only one of them) when making a faster turn or going over a speed bump. Interesting enough, I have tried to swing the rear of the car up and down in a garage, but the sound doesn't come out. However, I have managed to reproduce it, though only vaguely, when swinging the car from left to the right by my hands.Did anyone encounter that? What may it be? I am taking the car to the garage today anyway to replace the bumper which was slightly scratched during the delivery, so I will ask them about that, but just wanted to hear your opinions as well...Best regards!

aublick2014-04-24 10:02:59
Tekna 1.5 dCi Magnetic Red

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Take it straight back to dealers mateor Better call a breakdown company out to check its safemight be nothing but it could be something dangerous, either way take it back let dealer inspect it
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Possibly a piece of stone in the brake caliper?Had it a couple of times on my cars due to the gravel drive.They can be a sod to get out and can sound utterly horrific on the move.I'd ask the dealer to have a look either way.
Nissan no more...
aublick

Post by aublick »

Thx for your answers. I spotted it yesterday driving through a public garage with an open widow. So the sound might have actually been there from the beginning without me noticing it with the radio on. And as I told you before, I'm anyway taking it to the dealer today so I will keep you updated!
aublick2014-04-24 10:21:46
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

If in doubt dont drive and ring the RACits free and sometimes driving causes more damageIve had stones in calipers as it goes, expensive and not a warranty job
aublick

Post by aublick »

Hello everyone, just wanted to come back to you on this issue.I have indeed visited the dealer, as I told you I would and they kept the car for a whole day (they needed to replace the bumper). When I came to pick it up, they told me that they have examined this problem too, and that there is nothing really wrong with the suspension or anything. However, they confirmed that there is this noise coming from rear axle and that it needs to be dealt with as it is a new car. It is just that they do not really know what to do about it so they have reported it back to Nissan and they would come back to me once they got the answer. In the meanwhile it is safe for me to drive the car.Again, will report to you once I have more info.BR!
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Nice update AublickKeep us informed this is an interesting one and id bet an annoying one
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

Not to be a doom and gloom merchant... How do they know the car is safe to drive if they don't know what the cause of the noise is?Isn't that like saying..by all means play with the gun...we don't know if it's loaded but we believe it's safe to play with.Ok maybe a rather strong analogy..but you get my point.
Driving a 1.5DCi Tekna in Blade Silver since 14/02/2014
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Id assume any further damage to the car will now be covered by the dealer as wellI gotta feeling they hoping the noise will just go away
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

I think a little note of who you talked to, when and what they said would be sensible.I'd even ask if there is a Nissan reference number for the issue and email Nissan Customer Services quoting that number and detailing the above.That way if anything else does go wrong as a result of continuing to drive the car you have an ace to pull.
Driving a 1.5DCi Tekna in Blade Silver since 14/02/2014