Tyre Pressures .Scuffed front tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

just got my QQ with 18000 and the front tyres are well scuffed on the outside and inside edges...Now I would put this down to the pressures being too low and sure when tested they were at 28 while it recomends 33
anyone had similar problems ??? pistnbroke2013-03-10 16:38:17

Colimaty

Post by Colimaty »

Hi
Sounds like your steering tracking is out and the tyres are pointing inwards at the front.
This could have happend as running over rough potholes and bumping up kerbs causes this type of wear.
Some times if you have a small jack handy, jack up the front of the car ( also blocking the rear wheels and hand brake on to stop the car moving) and hold one of the front wheels in both hands at a three and nine postion rock the tyre side to side then twelve and six postion and do the same with someone looking at the joints behind the wheel (ball joints) to see if any play, if there is that joint will have to be changed, if no play is feltjust take it to your local garage and get them to sort out the front wheel alinment and two new tyres.
Newbie owner and lovin'it
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

Thanks for the advice ..I have enough qualifications in vehicle diagnostic techniques to more than overload this forums memory so I dont need your advice thanks.
Just a warning to keep your tyre perssure up to 33 psi or get the same wear pattern and reduced tyre life....
Bazzle

Post by Bazzle »

Ive found that 35psi all around seems to be the minimum to keep wear reasonably even and not too much of a trade with comfort. Handling was nicely improved (feel).
Even then Ive had to rotate front to rear and then diagonally due to the front left getting outside camber wear due to roundabouts etc. 65000kilometers so far on the Continentals.
38psi (in the 18") would probably be better but there is not enough chassis isolation in the Dualis (Qashqai)
My next step is to reduce the front pos front camber 1/4 degree to neg when I next put it on a machine.

Bazzle
2010 J10 sll Dualis 2l petrol (ozzie)
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

daughter just bought a 2 l CVT so we will see how her tyres go .....
wont cost me a bean ....I love kids
Moser

Post by Moser »

Pitsnbroke. Why ask for advice and then be rude about getting a reply?
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

did not ask for advice asked if anyone else had the same problem ...ie trying to advise people and maybe others would agree and give weight to my conclusions. Tyres just got to 33k miles and are gone all but one at 4mm ok for the back pistnbroke2014-01-20 22:04:20
Moser

Post by Moser »

Post broke,I misread the thread!

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

At risk of teaching my granny to suck an egg id put it down more to driving style.Tracking may be out but id wager agressive or maybe ill rephrase that a little more harsher cornering than the manufacture would suggest Dont worry Piston you can blame it on wife (after all thats one of the reasons we keep them ) but with the larger wall tyres we see and the fact your scrubbing both sides of the tyre on both sides of front end id look at the starsky and hutch style you will argue you dont drive
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

tyre wear on the inside and outside is caused by too low a pressure..as I did not own the vehicle till 17000 the damage had been done and I changed the fronts at 35000 ...the back are still going but only at about 3 mm.....yes I always thought donkeys were a bit slow...