Rusty brake drum casing

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
crewmeal

Post by crewmeal »

Having had my QQ for a couple of weeks I notice the rear brake drum casings are rusty. The front disc brakes are not much better. I've also noticed this on other QQs as well. Anyone got ideas on how to deal with this effectively?
Unsure which Red - 2015 1.6dci - N-Tec + usual extras including panoramic sun roof.

silverdave

Post by silverdave »

Hi crewmeal. Did not thick the QQ used a drum brake, ??
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol Auto panaramic roof , Gun grey. Nissan spare wheel.
Front & rear skid plates
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

silverdave wrote:Hi crewmeal. Did not thick the QQ used a drum brake, ??
Mine is disks front and rear too :)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Crewmeal, judging by your QQ Model I would think that you meant Discs and not Drums. If this is correct perhaps you will get some ideas if you look at these previous Posts - Dave ;)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3955

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2631&p=27815&hilit ... scs#p27815
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
crewmeal

Post by crewmeal »

Model I would think that you meant Discs and not Drums.
No. I'm taking about the casing not the actual brakes themselves. The wheels are attached to the casing which houses the brakes. My QQ is a 2015 model.
Unsure which Red - 2015 1.6dci - N-Tec + usual extras including panoramic sun roof.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

You mean the wheel hub assembly, not brake drum casing. QQ J11 uses all round disc brakes, not drums.
Glenn1961
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Glenn1961 »

Majority of vehicles are the same I've taken wheels off and painted the wheel hubs black before now but can't be bothered nowadays
crewmeal

Post by crewmeal »

Yes the wheel hub assembly where the wheels are attached. For such a brilliant car it seems a shame to have 2 rusty hubs.
Sorry my technical knowledge goes back to the days of minivans and tinkering with carbs :-)
daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Hi

I have painted my rear hub covers with Hammerite in Black, and have also painted both front and rear brake calipers in Silver. The huge advantage with Hammerite is that you don't have to remove all the rust deposits before painting, just give them a quick going over with a wire brush. It will last forever and the calipers come up like new when I clean the car.

You could always paint your calipers in a different colour. On my previous Astra I painted the calipers red and they looked really good the four years that I owned the car.

It does seem that the QQ's rear hub cover goes a nasty shade of rust pretty quickly, but as I say a couple of coats of Hammerite and it will look great. Doesn't take long to dry, so you can soon get a couple of coats on.

Cheers

Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
crewmeal

Post by crewmeal »

Thanks Doug I'll give it a try.