Change from 19" to 17" wheels

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

I'm considering changing from 19" to 17" wheels.

I accept that the QQ AWD is not intended for real off road use but,

The road to the mother-in-laws farm is somewhat rough and I worry about possibly damaging the rims so 17's would possibly be more appropriate.

I know the ride may not be quite as firm but has anyone and real life observations after down sizing?

The other pluses are tyres will be cheaper and given I live in a hilly area I would then have to option to also use winter tyres.

Roadie

Post by Roadie »

I go down to 16" wheels in the winter and the ride is a little bit better. The first thing you need to do is see if your insurance company will allow you to do it.
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

Roadie wrote:I go down to 16" wheels in the winter and the ride is a little bit better. The first thing you need to do is see if your insurance company will allow you to do it.
If I'd bought the car new I could have had it come with 17" wheels at no extra cost, so given that you can get the car supplied from Nissan with 17" wheels I wouldn't of thought insurance is problem or in fact that they even need to be notified.
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

A lot of insurance companies see it as a modification as it was not delivered with that size wheel, i had this problem so it's best to check with them first.
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

Roadie wrote:A lot of insurance companies see it as a modification as it was not delivered with that size wheel, i had this problem so it's best to check with them first.
But as I haven't had it from new how do I know what it was delivered with? for all I know it was delivered with 17" and it's been changed to 19" before I change it back the other way ;)
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

benchmark wrote:
Roadie wrote:A lot of insurance companies see it as a modification as it was not delivered with that size wheel, i had this problem so it's best to check with them first.
But as I haven't had it from new how do I know what it was delivered with? for all I know it was delivered with 17" and it's been changed to 19" before I change it back the other way ;)
Very true, but what tax bracket is it in? that will tell them if it was delivered with 19" wheels. Also if it was delivered with 17" and you put 19" on you should still check with them. God forbid if you have an accident and they won't pay out,
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Roadie wrote:
benchmark wrote:
Very true, but what tax bracket is it in? that will tell them if it was delivered with 19" wheels. Also if it was delivered with 17" and you put 19" on you should still check with them. God forbid if you have an accident and they won't pay out,
If your car is delivered with wheels less than 19" alloys then your tax bracket (UK) is less. Adding 19" alloys doesnt move you up into a higher tax bracket, but may affect your insurance. It will also cost you more for tyres and affect your fuel consumption and emmisions ever so slightly.
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

[/quote]If your car is delivered with wheels less than 19" alloys then your tax bracket (UK) is less. Adding 19" alloys doesnt move you up into a higher tax bracket, but may affect your insurance. It will also cost you more for tyres and affect your fuel consumption and emmisions ever so slightly.[/quote]

Yes but it will tell the insurance company what the Co2 emissions are and so what wheel size was on the car at delivery.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Roadie wrote:
If your car is delivered with wheels less than 19" alloys then your tax bracket (UK) is less. Adding 19" alloys doesnt move you up into a higher tax bracket, but may affect your insurance. It will also cost you more for tyres and affect your fuel consumption and emmisions ever so slightly.[/quote]

Yes but it will tell the insurance company what the Co2 emissions are and so what wheel size was on the car at delivery.[/quote]

That's what I said.
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

That's funny so did i :lol: