Yet another "no spare tyre" sufferer !

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Doug

Post by Doug »

I stand fully admonished , 298. Don't totally disagree but that said, I'm sure that the vast majority of folk dump the stuff from their old car's boot into the new car. I've always carried- along with a lot of hiking/ sporting,etc gear- a tyre pressure pump in my car ( previously the old foot-cranked variety but more recently the battery -operated type) and on more than one occasion that has got me home with a slow puncture. It's also used to regularly check/ inflate the external tyres.

So, yes, it's a hard learned lesson for me but I still think it was appallingly poor for the dealership/ salesman never to mention it nor even give me the spare tyre option ( which I most certainly would have taken) and then for me to be given an owner's manual which clearly stated that the car did in fact have a full ( i.e. not "get you home") spare tyre/wheel.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Doug, I still cannot believe the attitude of the Dealer and the comment about the Lack of Spare. I looked again at the QQ Spec in the Nissan UK Brochure OnLine under Safety and it actually states "Puncture Repair Kit" and in the Manual P 6.3 Changing Flat Tyre (Models with Spare Wheel, where fitted) !. So are there Variations on the statements of QQ Spare Wheels i.e. Differences ?
Do not forget that the Compressor (supplied with the Gunk) does come in Handy when needed with the Spare Wheel - Dave ;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

To be fair, the Owners Manual does actually say 'A standard wheel and tyre is supplied with your vehicle', but that line is directly below the heading 'Conventional Spare Tyre (where fitted). On the same page 6-2 is also the heading 'Temporary-Use Spare Tyre (where fitted).
Page 6-9 contains the heading 'Repairing Flat Tyre' (Models with emergency tyre puncture repair kit). 'The emergency tyre puncture repair kit is supplied with the vehicle instead of a spare tyre'.
We need to be aware that these owners manuals are generic to cover a multitude of models of the same car, hence the words 'where fitted'.
As Gel commented previously, you may have been better phoning the Nissan European Roadside Assistance Helpline. Youve already got free cover and they should have your vehicle details to hand. It would also generate feedback direct to Nissan as they have paid for the service.
Last edited by gvmdaddy on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Your Nissan (Continental Tyres) repair kit does include a 12v air pump, so that's the only part of kit I'd use ie to reflate tyre, perhaps several times, back to tyre dealers, if RAC wait too long.

Some of us think Continental may encourage use of the foam as it leads to more tyre sales.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Essexeddie

Post by Essexeddie »

One of the first things I did when I bought my QQ and also my wifes Fiesta was to get hold of a spare wheel. Ok the Fiesta was a bit cheaper as there are a lot of Ford wheels in the breakers yards but most have now cottoned on and increased the prices due to the non existence of spare wheels. My QQ spare cost around £100 brand new. But nothing is worse than a ripped tyre that them silly kits cant fix. These things always seem to happen when you least need it. Money well spent.
2014 Tekna J11 DC1 CVT Automatic, also a 1955 Chevrolet 3100 pickup truck.