Bought a lemon

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
mbridge2610

Post by mbridge2610 »

So I bought a 2nd hand QQ in February. The car was 'serviced' and a new MOT was put on it.

I had a Service carried out yesterday and turns out there is roughly £1700 worth of urgent work required:

Front n/s lower ball joint and rear arm bush
O/S lower arm bush
CV boot
Dual Mass Flywheel

We were also sold a warranty with the car, and surprise surprise none of the works are covered under the policy.

Would someone be able to quote a rough cost for the above, and whether they should have been picked up during the Service and/or MOT?

Thanks!

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Shouldn't have passed due to items 1-3, so you have to suspect the quality of the MOT carried out; you should raise your concerns with both the supplier of the car (which I assume is a J10 Qashqai) and the DOT.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... out-an-mot

Offer the supplier the opportunity to put these things right which they have legal responsibility to do regardless of the seemingly worthless guarantee offered.
If they won't play ball tell em you'll get done & claim costs back via small claims court.
You need to get an estimate too in writing from alternative garage to fix.
See
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscel ... to-reject/
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
mbridge2610

Post by mbridge2610 »

Gel wrote:Shouldn't have passed due to items 1-3, so you have to suspect the quality of the MOT carried out; you should raise your concerns with both the supplier of the car (which I assume is a J10 Qashqai) and the DOT.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... out-an-mot

Offer the supplier the opportunity to put these things right which they have legal responsibility to do regardless of the seemingly worthless guarantee offered.
If they won't play ball tell em you'll get done & claim costs back via small claims court.
You need to get an estimate too in writing from alternative garage to fix.
See
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscel ... to-reject/
Thank you... i spoke to the MOT place (who now claim to not be part of the selling garage, they just rent space) and he said that if we were to complain we would just get laughed at because it's outside of the period where they 'care' - something like 90 days post MOT?

Also, that link says 30 days post sale, we're at 6 months :(
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

See "6 months" reference in para 2.
They can't use the 90 days excuse anymore, as you'll be informing them.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscel ... -purchase/

If you're in AA or RAC they can provide legal assistance too.

If you paid for any of it (deposit/ full sum) by card you have rights:
If you bought your car with a credit card, you can also claim against the credit company under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Those with debit cards may be able to claim through the chargeback scheme
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Robqai

Post by Robqai »

Hi, the Law changed last Oct, the link you have is not the complete information. 30 days if not happy you can return the car and get refund. I'm sure it is now 30 days to six months the garage must repair. This is nothing to do with with whatever warranty they provide but The Consumer Rights Act 2015. You need to check quickly because if bought in Feb then your six months may be up of close to.
65 plate J11 1.5 dci Pearl black Tekna; Sill guards, Dash Cam 50+MPG (best 68 mpg)
mbridge2610

Post by mbridge2610 »

Thanks for the replies...i fear we may be out of luck, as we purchased the car on 29 January 2016.
mavrik64

Post by mavrik64 »

Ho did you pay for the car? Was any part of the payment (e.g. deposit) paid by Credit Card? Is the car on finance?
If yes, read up on Consumer Rights and section 75 of the Credit act. You may still have recourse.
I owe, I owe = so it's of to work i go
2014 Tekna 4x4 Black.
mbridge2610

Post by mbridge2610 »

mavrik64 wrote:Ho did you pay for the car? Was any part of the payment (e.g. deposit) paid by Credit Card? Is the car on finance?
If yes, read up on Consumer Rights and section 75 of the Credit act. You may still have recourse.
Yes, the car is on finance... i'll have a read up... thank you :)
mavrik64

Post by mavrik64 »

Gel wrote:Shouldn't have passed due to items 1-3, so you have to suspect the quality of the MOT carried out
Strictly speaking this is not an accurate statement. The MOT is only proof that at the time of the test the vehicle was road worthy. It is entirely possible that these items have worn out to beyond tolerance since that time.

It is also possible that the servicing garage is pulling a fast one ???
2014 Tekna 4x4 Black.
mavrik64

Post by mavrik64 »

Gel wrote:Shouldn't have passed due to items 1-3, so you have to suspect the quality of the MOT carried out
Strictly speaking this is not an accurate statement. The MOT is only proof that at the time of the test the vehicle was road worthy. It is entirely possible that these items have worn out to beyond tolerance since that time after all, we don't know the year of manufacture of the OP's QQ (unless i missed that somewhere)

It is also possible that the servicing garage is pulling a fast one ???
2014 Tekna 4x4 Black.