Locking wheel nut

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
fat controller

Post by fat controller »

A couple of weeks ago, I had a puncture which was repaired by a local independent tyre place. The next time I washed the car, I noticed that the locking wheel nut is missing - all of the other four are in place and tight. So, I am now into having to buy a replacement locking wheel nut.

Anyone know what the likely cost would be from a Nissan dealer? Or would I be better going for some McGard aftermarket ones?
1.5dci Acenta Premium
Wishlist: Autofold Mirrors, Chrome body trim and Metal sill protectors;

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Have you asked the puncture repairer?
Replacement should be down to them; they must have used key to remove. Hope you've still got that.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Have you been to the tyre place in case they have it? In any case you could argue that they are responsible for the cost of replacement.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

fat controller, give it a try what Gel & Hound suggested. Here is an attachment from Glyn Hopkins with some comments on if you have the Nissan Key No. If you go on their website you will see McGard Locking Nuts, there is a big selection. They do not cost a fortune but it is inconvenient - Dave ;)

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
fat controller

Post by fat controller »

Hound wrote:Have you been to the tyre place in case they have it? In any case you could argue that they are responsible for the cost of replacement.
I popped in, but they didn't have it; to be fair, their paperwork clearly states to check all nuts after 50 miles, but I had done a few hundred by the time I spotted it missing, so I reckon that I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I couldn't prove anything one way or another.

EDIT - I still have the key, so I will pop to my dealer with it and get one ordered - less than £20 isn't too bad I suppose.
1.5dci Acenta Premium

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I know that my reply says basically the same as Gel's but strangely, his message didn't show when I uploaded mine (almost an hour later than his was apparently posted). Very odd!

I wonder how they'd prove you'd done more than 50 miles? Bet they didn't log your mileage!
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
fat controller

Post by fat controller »

I must admit, I didn't think to look at the job sheet. I initially wondered if they had mullered it getting it off, and decided to lose it and say now't, but speaking to neighbours etc who use the same place, they reckoned that doubtful as they have never had a bad experience with them and have used them for years.

Ach, such is life I suppose. On the bright side, if I had gone to Kwik Fit, I probably would have ended up with two new tyres, two mullered locking nuts and a list of stuff that they recommended to be changed (brake pads/discs, brake fluid, antifreeze - paint, seat cloth.... :mrgreen: )
1.5dci Acenta Premium

Kamhkam

Post by Kamhkam »

I also need help identifying the locking wheel nut code for my wheels. Lost the key and need to get a replacement

20240104_101741.jpg

andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

Any good garage will be able to remove the old locking nuts for you without the wheel key. Just get yourself a new set ready to put back on