Missing Bit on Brake Disc

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Deleted User 2899

Post by Deleted User 2899 »

Could anyone tell me what the missing bit on the brake disc is for please ?

These are brand new front disks fitted to a J11.

Thanks.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Lanstrom, when I first saw your photo it looked to me to be a possible NC Machining Error where the Cutter had dug in (Programme Error) and had been accepted by Quality Control as it would not affect Braking or Safety. But now after looking around I found the attached photo and this Machined Cutout is also there. Could this be used in Production or in Service as a Brake Setup or even for the Disc Manufacture - Dave ;)

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 2899

Thanks for spotting that image. I had a look on Google Images myself but I couldn't see anything due to people using generic images. I did check out the opposite (OSF) discs and they also had an indentation although it was half the size.

Now I have just noticed that the garage have charged me £530.21 for a Full Service and new Brake Discs/Pads. According to Nissans web site https://www.nissan.co.uk/ownership/niss ... epair.html these should be fixed cost at £269 (Service) and £239 (discs/pads) so it looks like I have to phone them up now (unless I have missed something) :(
switchback

Post by switchback »

Perhaps the machining is to balance the disc rather than adding weights?
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Switchback, well done I think you have cracked it 10/10 :D . These sort of points are always interesting and to find a solution even more worth while. Lanstrom, this could well answer your question !. Take a look at the attachment - Dave ;)

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 2899

Thanks guys. That would indeed appear to be the answer. Panic over !

Nice one :)
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

And there was me thinking it might possibly be a maximum wear indicator!
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

I was always told it was the wear indicator.