J11 - Improvement in Ride after tyre change

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Thought I'd share a recent experience having changed the front tyres on my Qashqai. Even on the 17's (running stock conti ecocontact5's) I wasn't that impressed with the ride quality over cracks and expansion joints in the tarmac. I would notice the shock of the bump hit the dashboard/intrude into the cabin.
..changing the pressures didn't really help. Other bumps like potholes and speedbumps it copes perfectly which seemed odd. Following a screw in the tyre that couldn't be repaired I replaced both fronts with Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV. They had decent reviews and comfort was a strong area.

My god what a difference, copes with bumps so much better (I've used a bit of rough Road I use every day for comparison) and also corners much more confidently in the wet. Never thought a tyre change would improve it that much but it has! Never touch the ecocontact5's again.

brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

from what i can see the continentals are not recomended at all, (with people that have tried other makes) mine 19"225 make 72 decibels i will try dunlop at 67decibels and a wet and economy the same! perhaps you are correct summerjunk im sorry you had to find out that way with a puncture regards
brian
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

noise from the continental 19" has gone i insulated with 10mm alum self adhesive insulater . first removed the felt cover and cut and stuck the insulating foam then replaced the felt very easey to do there is ine self tapping screw all the others are plastic nuts that unscrew . to replace them you can screw or simply push them as they are quick fit nuts i did not stick onto the chassis its realy helped the noise from the 72 db continental tyres

WP_20160607_18_00_51_Pro.jpg

brian
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

ps i bought the 40"x40" x10mm selfe adhesive alum backed sound insulating and heat insulator foam from allí express at less than 20euros delivery free very slow normally but free and one sheet does the back wheel arches i dont reccomend covering the chassis as i have shown in the picture when removeing the felt liner and replaceing it on top i reccomend a dust mask and goggles. i got sore eyes afterwards. there is only one screw all the other are plastic nuts. on the fillercap side there are tubes and i fed the insulater behind them BEFORE removeing the brown paper from the stickey side. the noise from the 19"w96 continentals has dissapeared
i intend to try the front wheel arches the rear are very easey to do and i think they are a big improvement to these tekna 72db tyre noises good surfing brianthelian
brian