Tyre information.

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
matthusala

Post by matthusala »

Hi, can anyone tell me if the Continental Premium Contact 2E 215/55 R18 99V Extra Load is the same as Continental Premium Contact 2XL 215/55 R18 99V Extra Load? I see Halfords have the Continental Premium Contact 2XL 215/55 R18 99V Extra Load for £125.99 and I'm not sure if this is the same tyre as the old ones I have on or it's a different tyre altogether. Halfords tell me it's the same, but I would prefer to hear that on here. :oops:

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

If you are really concerned asda tyres do the one you "have" at £128.50 a corner.
It's only £10 for all four in difference.
Nissan no more...
matthusala

Post by matthusala »

Hi AlleyCat, thank you for the reply, I was just wondering what was the difference between the two tyres, if any.

Thanks for the heads up on the Asda price.(he said patting his back pocket) :)
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

It's not exactly the same in my view.

XL means you have stiffer sidewalls and can inflate tyres further to allow for heavier loading.
2XL would tend to suggest that they are further re-enforced and potentially have even stiffer side walls.

It's probably redundant on the QQ to put that level of tyre on the vehicle (i.e. extra extra load) but i doubt it would cause any issues other than it might have an impact on the ride quality.

I do advocate on not skimping on tyres but this doesn't seem necessary, although i'm always happy to be contradicted :)
Nissan no more...
matthusala

Post by matthusala »

Hi AlleyCat, thank you for the reply, I just thought they had brought out a newer tyre until I saw the Continental Premium Contact 2E 215/55 R18 99V Extra Load still being sold.