Rear brake discs after 25k 22 months

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Rundmc

Post by Rundmc »

Hi,

Just had my second service at 25k and two years since registration and Nissan advised both rear discs need replacing and pads. Can understand pads but would have thought discs would have lasted longer.

If one of the discs is worn is it normal practice to replace both ? They have advised £269 to do this which I wasn't expecting and classed as a wear and tear item so not covered under warranty.

On a seperate note my front tyres are at 3mm after 25k so will need replacing soon and anyone know best ones for the 17" alloys on Accenta Premium ?
Qashqai 1.5 dci Acenta Premium Ink Blue since 13/05/14

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Personally I would say that 25k is way short of the mark. I would be expecting at leadt double that, if not more.
Yes, it is general wear and tear however.
Yes again, they do recommend replacing both sides at the same time.
Can you see how deep they have worn or have the garage stated what the disc thickness is now?
Rundmc

Post by Rundmc »

Hi,

Looking at the details again the rear pads are 20% worn and the fronts 40% worn which is the sort of percentage I would expect.

I have only seen the drivers side rear one which has two marks round it as if it is scored but again I wouldn't expect this with only 20% worn on the pads.
switchback

Post by switchback »

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answe ... -000-miles

The rear brakes don't get used enough to clear the rust off them that builds-up after wet weather. Try driving hard between 2 close roundabouts and braking hard to heat them up and clear the rust every few months.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Rundmc

Post by Rundmc »

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Nissan are advising these are replaced are they just being over cautious ?

It's not really rust just two light coloured lines that go round the disc as if the disc has scored ?

nissan didn't have all the parts in stock so they they didn't carry out repair. They are waiting for some parts to come in and fix the steering noise issue so could see if I could get them to hold off.

I also wondered if because my car is parked on a hill is there extra pressure put on the discs when the handbrake is switched on ?
switchback

Post by switchback »

It's not really rust just two light coloured lines that go round the disc as if the disc has scored ?
No but it's the rust and flakey bits that cause the grooves and wear.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Dont know what Nissans actual tollerences are, but other sites indicate that pads are good for down to 3 to 5mm, whilst discs can accommodate wear of no more than 2mm. Irregular scoring will also impact on longeivity of the disca but im not aware of any guidelines. Maybe the limits are listed as part of the MOT?
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

I am not sure whether this will be of help but there are some interesting comments on Brakes from the AA & Meyle (Brake Manufacturer) which is worth reading - Dave ;)

http://www.theaa.com >brakes-discs-drums-pads

http://www.meyle.com

image.png

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
catnash

Post by catnash »

As for tyres when the Focus or Qashqai need doing going to try Nexxen N'Blue HD plus nearly1/2 the price of what id usually stump up for.
As for Discs seems very early but I do my own. Too many stories of being changed too early in the past.
1.2 Auris TS, Yaris 1.5.
Rundmc

Post by Rundmc »

Hi,

Thanks for advice guess I am just going to have to accept it happens and take this into account if getting a car with rear discs.

I have only ever had discs changed before on a car and it was much older although on front.

Think it's my first car with discs on back