Tekna 19"rims and oversized tyres.

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

The standard wheel size on a Tekna is 19" alloys, with the appropriate tyre being 225 x 45.
I notice that one of our Australian friends has just fitted 235 x 50 to his existing alloys.
Couple of questions...
Is that legal in the UK?
How much would that affect the true mph opposed to speedo mph?
Would this size of tyre sit correctly on the standard alloys, or could they be unstable at all?
Would the extra tyre width help to protect the rims from kerbing damage?
Could this affect your insurance policy?

Apparently lots of 'boy racers' are fitting oversized wheels with undersized stretched tyres to give a racing look, and this is not illegal. I just wondered if the legality would be the same using a non OEM oversized tyre?

Roadie

Post by Roadie »

I don't know about the law now, but you used to be able to go up two sizes on a rim.
I use this site to work about changes to speedo etc https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc
and yes you would need to tell your insurance company.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

It appears to be difficult to find the "Law" for installing "Oversize Tyres" on Cars. What I have found though is for me a really valuable writeup by "Demon Tweeks" on Tyres & Wheels in Genaral but with a lot of Info' and Data for calculations, well worth saving ! - I hope this is of Help ! Dave :(

Tyre width : What about the Tyre Width ? A set of wide tyres will look great (especially from behind the vehicle), but go too wide and you could risk messing up your car’s handling or fuel consumption – or the wheelset simply not fitting under your arches! So this section explains everything you should know about tyre width.
Tyre width is a bit more complicated than just knowing your rim width and matching a tyre to it. Because of the way a tyre mounts on the rim, you can usually oversize or undersize them a bit – which can be helpful in certain situations. The thing is, the amount you can do this varies with the profile of the tyre – because there will be more or less sidewall to stretch and accommodate any size difference. Anyway, to keep things as simple as possible, we’ve included a link to a table below for guidance. We do stress the word guidance. Sometimes there will be other factors at play when choosing tyres that we can’t account for here – so if you’re at all unsure, then please give our Wheels, Tyres and Exhausts Team a shout and they will give you a definitive answer.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/contact-us

One of our best-selling performance tyre brands is Yokohama – and on their main site they’ve included a handy tyre size table for width. Check it out here. Whilst you might be able to physically mount a given tyre on a rim width other than the ones shown in this table, Yokohama don’t recommend it.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/blog/perf ... #wheelsize
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken