full size spare

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Korky, your comment on the Space Saver is correct it can be used as a short term Emergency measure.
We have already contacted Alloygator in the UK and here in Germany we have given the information to our Nissan Dealer to order and install Rim Ringz (US) on our 19" Tekna Wheels. Kerbing these Alloys can and will be expensive to repair (if possible) or replace. Take a look at the subject Rim Ringz in the Forum - hope this of help Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

I've been reading about alloy gators and the like. seems some places refuse to fit them. I've read stories of them coming off, breaking, but more worryingly, interfering with the bead seat and experiencing sudden deflation on hard cornering.I've decided not to risk it.
tekna cvt mag red
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

andrewjoseph, take a look at the subject "Alloygators" under "Non Tech QQ Discussions" there you will see jonceebee's QQ with Alloygators. He has used these before so I would suggest you contact him for feedback - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Thanks Dave, I have read that.I've also read of the other issues stated above. For me the risk is too great.Kerbing a tyre will be costly and annoying. sudden loss of pressure could be fatal.I've read of several instances where the rim protectors have come off totally or partially and caused damage to car panels.Now these incidents are probably in the minority considering the numbers with no problems, but in no way are they free from risk.It's not just alloygators, it's those systems that fix under the tyre bead. Rimringz have the same issues.I'm a bit more cautious than others I suppose, I've gone to great lengths and additional expense to get a full size spare, whereas others are happy with foam or emergency spare.We all have different criteria for feeling safe. I feel safe on my road bike in traffic, some friends won't even consider it. But they are happy bombing down rocky mountainsides where I get off and walk.
tekna cvt mag red
jukester46

Post by jukester46 »

On a subnote to this topic i have managed to scrape my 19 inch tekna alloy (double drat)!. Only a inch or so so I rang 3 companies near me. As they are diamond cut 2 said, and I quote "We have the wheel for 4 days and lathe the wheel and that will be 150 of you hard earnt".... ah small problem no spare!. Anyway to my point and advice. I rang the third guy who came to my house yesterday and assured me he can repair the small damage for £40. He showed me pictures of repairs on diamond cut alloys he had done in particular Ferrari's at Stratstone Wilmslow and I was amazed at the work.So off he went to repair the wheel but came back 5 mins later to apologise that he could not undue the wheelnuts as there was not enough clearance for any of his sockets..... ! Even his Snapon wouldnot fit lol. So he off to his supplier tommo.
So if you are thinking of a spare, check that the wheelbrace you purchase will fit the wheel nuts and not scrape the lovely black paint!jukester462014-05-11 12:20:51
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

andrewjoseph, it is roundabouts and swings these days you either take your chance by installing or going without. The problem as I see it is the large risk of damaging by kerbing the Alloy edges and the cost incurred or you take a chance with protection rings. I had one of my Brock Alloys from my Note damaged by the continous steel chain in an Auto Wash here. The Insurance paid up but the damage could not be built up by welding (not allowed) so it was ground out and then re-sprayed and cost 110 Pounds. Now a new 17" Alloy costs 209 / a 19" costs 236 Pounds @ Glynn Hopkins and Tires in the region of 100 / 200 Pounds. So you have to weigh the odds up and decide - Dave
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

jukester46, make sure the new Socket has the Nylon Sleeve fitted to it as if this is a Std Steel Socket you could end up with scuff marks within the Wheel Nut Bores, therefore more scratches. Just a Heads Up to keep your eyes wide open - Dave ?Y‘€
jukester46

Post by jukester46 »

Thats what Mr repair man is getting I believe, also its got to be a thinwall socket but thanks for heads up. I will do some before and after shots of repair aswell as its much cheaper than a lathe job.
stephen160

Post by stephen160 »

anyone know the spec of the socket needed? Isteve
First ever Nissan and have ordered a Qashqui Tekna iCVT in Blue. www.bookmyvilla.com owner
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

jukester46, stephen160, these are the Sockets I was talking about. If anybody has the Spec available please post it as I am also interested. Please note these are not the correct size, these are just for an example - Thanks Dave