Metallic Rattle on 1 week old QQ Tekna 4x4 - Fixed

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Zach Nicodemous

Post by Zach Nicodemous »

Hey All,Just wanted to report on a metallic rattle that developed on my QQ yesterday. We'd had it 6 days yesterday and took it on its first long distance drive, 100 miles to the other end of Cyprus to pick up some friends at Larnaca airport.Half way from Paphos to Larnaca, a metallic rattling started occuring at speeds over 50km/h. This morning, I took everything out of the car that might be rattling and it was still present, so I took it to my Nissan Service Center. From inside the cabin, it was impossible to determine where the rattle was coming from. Three of their service guys came for a drive with me, and from where each sat, it sounded like the rattle was coming from different locations.On their first repair attempt, they checked the suspension and made sure everything was tightened there, which did not fix it. Then they tried several other things and after about 2 hours there, and numerous claims of "its fixed" (only to find that it wasn't), they finally determind it was due to a loose heat shield on the exhaust system.There is also a second rattle occuring when driving over speed bumps and pot holes, which they determined was coming from the spare wheel well in the boot - next to the spare wheel, there are metal tools for jacking the car et cetera, there was no padding between the metal tools and the body, so anytime there was a bump it rattled against the metal. I am going back next week for them to install some padding there.Just thought I'd report this here in case anyone has a similar rattle.Zach

kinelfire

Post by kinelfire »

Dont think much of your mechanics. Its a common & frequent problem & would have been the first thing many of us on here would have told you to check. A Nissan dealer should have come across it many times.At least its sorted now thoughEDIT Just seen you're in Cyprus, dont suppose QQs are very common over there
kinelfire2015-08-08 02:03:05
Cafe Latte 2010 1.5 n-tec. then 2013 Black 1.5 360+2
Zach Nicodemous

Post by Zach Nicodemous »

[quote="kinelfire"]EDIT Just seen you're in Cyprus, dont suppose QQs are very common over there
[/QUOTE]The old QQ's are a dime a dozen here, but there are very few J11's on the road, and I have the only 4x4 Tekna model on this end of the Island.Its funny because just as they came out and told me they'd solved it, I had found a result on google suggesting that it might be the heat shield and was just about to suggest it to them.Oh well!