Spare Tyre / Gunk / Jack etc

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
korky

Post by korky »

Righty ho fellow QQ'ers - I have a question for those of you who already have got your cars.

So new QQ comes with the gunk but we all know that's useless if tyre is damaged.

Looking around and speaking to a couple of dealers a Space Saver is available circa £200 but only in a 16" size.

My question is this okay when car is on 19s?

Also what actually comes with the car, do you get the wheel brace and jack etc or would these need to be purchased as well?

jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

You beat me to it, I was about to ask the exact same question myself. It would seem strange driving with a 16 inch wheel on one side. As I pointed out in one of my earlier posts, I am also concerned about what the gunk will do to the pressure monitoring valves, they could get blocked/damaged and will not be cheap to replace. It's bad enough being stranded then often have the tyre scrapped as the fitters will not touch it, then have to buy a new valve as well. I would imagine 19 inch Continentals and a new valve a scrapped tyre would cost more than the spare wheel kit.Has anyone had experience of a flat and gunk not working? does the breakdown coverage get you home, I have heard some RAC services will loan you a get you home wheel with a £200 deposit, which you then return to them
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

My solution...Electric car pump...if you have to keep pumping it up if it's just a "normal" puncture until you can get to a garage.I've not checked but pretty sure the road side assistance would get you somewhere some how and to be honest if the need arises I'll avoid the gunk as I'm told you HAVE to replace the tyre after it's used even if the original puncture is repairable. Mark
Driving a 1.5DCi Tekna in Blade Silver since 14/02/2014
Granty

Post by Granty »

Just joined club few minutes ago and was reading this post.

I work for Audi's and talking to our tyre technician a few days ago about using the gunk when punctured and he confirmed that basically the tyre would need replacing rather than repaired.
Asked him as I have ordered a 1.5 Tekna 3 weeks ago and had a concerned about having no space saver. If I have a problem looks like I'm going to call roadside assistance.
granty
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

This may be a solution http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-TYRE- ... 0b93aa535I am going to get a jack only so I can spin the wheel around and if I see what has caused the offending puncture, pull it out, then use this kit, inflate the tyre and drive slowly to the nearest tyre shop. If it is not in the sidewall you should be able to get the tyre repaired
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

The RAC used something similar on my last puncture (first in a decade) and it was a fairly hefty bolt.I refused to use the gunk as there was no way it was going to deal with the hole and it would have just ruined the tyre and valve anyway.The one they used was recommended for a motorbike tyre as the guy said he had better results with it. Although your actual mileage with that bit of information may vary and it's not a recommendation :)Certainly lasted overnight and the 7 miles i had to travel to get it properly repaired.
AlleyCat2014-02-25 22:39:28
Nissan no more...
korky

Post by korky »

So a little more info....for £115 you can get the jack, label, brace and space saver rim etc it's the actual tyre rubber which hikes the price. Something like £95 for the rubber
korky

Post by korky »

Has anyone spec'd / got the space saver for the new QQ?

We have it but dealers are saying the (bear with me on this) the foam supports to lift he carpet up and stop it from sinking at the sides are on back order?

Does anyone have any ideas to this or parts numbers so I can get it checked out etc?
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

I did enquirethe space saver came as a kit i think £199 which included wheel brace jack and new foam if you remove the rear boot floor its a bloody big hole they got there, id wager a full sized 19" tekna wheel could fit with ease you will need foam to support the boot floor if you fit a space saver in thereIm looking at fitting an aftermarket full sized wheel a little bottle jack and brace in mine then cut some polysterene down as for cost ofd a space saver fit a full sized spare and hope you never use itspace savers limited on speed and wear the tyre off after a short journey
korky

Post by korky »

Thanks Donkey