Spare Tyre / Gunk / Jack etc

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
MJCQQ

Post by MJCQQ »

[quote="SplanK"]
hhmmI am starting to "loose my nerve" a little without having any spare and have started looking. Got a quote from my dealer, £265 for the space kit!! I almost fell of my chair at work. Lookup up Glyn Hopkins and its not far from the same price. I found a "full size" spare on ebay for £150, but it seems like others are getting the same wheel and tyre for cheaper elsewhere? Although I am iffing and arring if the £265 is worth paying given it chews up less space in the boot which usually needed when we go away on trips, and even more so in the future with our 2nd kid his way! This is what I have foundhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Nissan-Qashqai-20 ... 2596359297 Then I just need a jack[/QUOTE]I got my space saver spare fitted from brand new as an option. It cots me £190 from the dealer but it didn't include the spacers. I added them later at a cost of £40. So £230 in total may seem like a little much but I have had far too many punctures in my time to trust the worthless gunk.One thing you need to be aware off is the loss space in the lower boot compartment. With a space saver spare wheel included I lost about 1.5" from that compartment. It is still enough to stow the parcel shelf or other flat items. If you get a full size spare wheel you will lose that compartment totally IMHO.

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

I wish I kept my spare now instead of leaving it in car but theres loads on EbayWhy not as a group chip in for these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NISSA ... d593f11you can get an almost new 17" QQ alloy for under £100 and look at the old hydralic bottle jack that compresses down and fits inside rimThes will just leave a small bump on carpet and easily clear the slats on the boot linerSo many on here want wheels its kind of dumb not to club together One thing I see you all overlooking is wheel nutsspace savers dont run well on alloy wheel nuts so if you buy a steel wheel you will need nuts to go with them
papa bravo

Post by papa bravo »

I had a blow-out last week only to discover that for the first time that my '09 Qashqai had no spare wheel. Tried gunk but useless as no jack either. Had to be rescued by RAC (a 2-hr wait as they came from Weymouth, Dorset to Chard, Somerset) who fitted spare wheel and followed me to my home garage. RAC man said he'd only known one case where gunk had worked. I have just bought a used space saver wheel, tyre and jack kit for £130 on ebay.
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Well PB, at least you're honest to admit that you didn't realise there wasn't a spare! I still drive on with a wing and a prayer I guess although the thought of a long journey might well worry me. So, give us the details of what you bought and from whom. Thanks
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Peter, looks like you are getting worried !. If you remember there was a lot of discussions during the early Part of last year on this subject. Jon supplied some facts on P9 of this Topic and I placed my List under "Full Size Spare" in June. Then the Nissan Kit appeared it is likely that the price could have dropped so why do you not give Glyn Hopkins a Buzz you might be Lucky. But the price mentioned above is Cheap. Incidently I did make up Part of my Kit using Brand New Parts from recently scrapped cars, could be another way out after all how often are these parts really used, it is really just to be on the Safe Side - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

This gunk issue is a nightmare, every one who I know who has attempted a repair has had it fail, and to make matters worse often ruins the tyre as fitters will not touch it. I dread to think of having a flat on a dark country lane late at night and hoping this would work. This is why the spare, jack etc. was my very first add on within days of collecting the car.It's time all manufacturers did something about this and stop hiding behind the reduced weight, less emissions cop out. It is really just a money saving exercise.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Dave, just being gentle with a new member and encouraging discussion. That said, I think that you are right and it would worry me some to do a long journey. But equally I'm not attracted to losing the space or indeed adding the weight. I guess £150plus isn't the issue and there is space in the garage so, let's see where the question takes us, In the meantime a quick call to GH won't do any harm. Peter
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
plcman

Post by plcman »

I got a brand new spaesaver from Motorhog from a QQ+2 old shape for 50 notes - this is the same as the ascents premium a d fits perfect, tenner for the Jack and brace :-)
30k a year without a spare - I dont think so.
Dikkytikka

Post by Dikkytikka »

I've been following this thread with some interest as my partner has just had a puncture in her Juke and the supplied kit was worse than useless. I have a 2015 Quashqai and I'm not about to wait until I get a puncture and have to wait for the RAC or AA to help me out so I began looking for alternatives. I've been back through the pages of this thread and either I'm thicker than I thought or I've completely overlooked it but, would this fit (both the well in the boot and on the road?:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Nissan-Qas ... 1635128836
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Tony, the 1st Pic is of our "Emergency Spare Wheel" which is 145 / 90 / 16 and the actual Outside Dia is : 145 x 90 = 130.5" > 130.5 / 25.4 = 5.137" > 5.137 x 2 = 10.27 > 16 + 10.27 = 26.27" Outside Dia The Wheel you are talking about is : 215 x 0.65" = 139.75 > 139.75 / 25.4 = 5.50 > 5.50 x 2 = 11.00 > 16 + 11 = 27.00" Outside Dia So the difference on Diameter of the two tyres is 27 - 26.27 = 0.73 / 2 = 0.365" Per SideJust go out to the QQ and give it the once over I think it will work but please double check before you invest your well earned cash - Dave So Basically what you are looking at is the Wheel Fitting in this area and it does appear that the difference would fit in the Boot Space. You will most probably have a Problem with the depth of the well because the Std Wheel will be wider and therefore you will most probably have to remove this False Floor shown in the pic.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken