Tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
EthanEdwqards

Post by EthanEdwqards »

Being as mine's a 4wd version and I do drive to and from work all year round. I really needed Mud n Snow tyres. I drove my Xtrail 75miles a day all throught he snow & Ice which was shod with Goodyear Wranglers M+S marked tyres. Pretty darn good too but they don't come in the QQ' size 215 /55 R18 95H (or V).

So the QQ's standard fit Conti's had to go (they are just summer road tyres) even though they only had 7,800 miles on them. I've now shod mine in Toyo Open Country's. Not a huge amount of choice out there if you have the 18 inch wheels and want a M+S rated tyre with the correct speed rating. I refuse to use cheapo chinese ditchfinders.

The Toyo's are like Rocking Horse poo. The dealer couldn't get any. Online I went to Mytyres and bought 4. They use DPD for deliveries and it revealed that two came from Holland, two from Germany. I then bought a spare alloy and needed another tyre. This one came from Poland. I kid you not. I've been scouring Europe for this 'rare unusual' vehicle. Mad isn't it. £120 a corner is OK by me but really Poland?

Madder still they screwed up and delivered yet another two last Friday and didn't even realise it (or charge for them). I did the decent thing and called them and they picked them up yesterday. Jeez two 18 inch tyres cling filmed together is a big parcel. Took up a lot of space in my garage.

What tyres do you guys use? As the OEM Conti's are just summer road tyres ie not great in the winter does anyone else feel the need for proper all season tyres?

I'll take all the advantages I can get on snow. 4wd, the correct rubber etc as well as careful motoring. I've driven past lots of flashy 4wd's shod with summer tyres...last winter a Rav 4 had some lovely wheels which I saw very clearly as I drove past. For it was on it's side in a flooded ditch near my house. Hope they got out ok but I'd be dishonest if I claimed I didn't feel a tad smug that day.
Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Chortes

Post by Chortes »

Hi, I've not got my QQ yet but I currently drive a Peugeot 3008 2.0 HDI and the lease company only fit summer tyres and they only use Conti's. I'm just coming to the end of it's three year lease, hence the QQ that's on order.I can't say I've every had and slip / slide issues or got stuck in the snow especially considering the torque the Pug has at quite a low RPM.My main use is motorway, A and B roads and I don't think I've ever taken it off road in the real sense but the tyres have never let me down. I appreciate the idea, use and especially the safety aspect of winter tyres and I'm not condeming them or trying to give them a negative spin, I'm just letting you know my experiences.Chortes
Really?
EthanEdwqards

Post by EthanEdwqards »

Hi. Good choice new qq looks like its going to be a winner.
Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...