Road noise at the back.

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

Changing the wheels back tot the 19" summertyres i noticed a lot of road noise.Measuring it with a dB tool it's reached 76dB running at 130Km/hAfter some investigation i noticed the source: the two overpressure vents in the rear (one on both corners bottom left and right of the tailgate, venting in the wheel arches)As a result they pick up a lot of roadnoise.For now i covered the vents with a piece of isolation material in a way they still work but with less passing noise. The result is a drop -6dB tot about 70dB (130KM/H)I am looking for a kind of soundproof vent as used in buildings to reduce the sound and keeping the venting, needed to equalizes pressure, preventing your ears pop closing a door.It seems the vents are open at higher speeds. Not sure if this behaviour is by design or to light constructed valves.It seems not all QQ are dealing with the same issues.. so maybe a bad series of vents that open to soon?Blocking the vents is not a good idea.In case of accident the airbags displace lots of air that needs a way out.Closing the doors without vents will cause a high pressure resulting in popping ears or worse.

QQ0132015-04-05 21:50:25
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna