Tow bar advice needed

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
bozzyloz

Post by bozzyloz »

I need to fit a towbar to my Teckna 1.2 to tow small trailer occassionally which has 7 pin connection. Researching Witters detachable and think the DT144QF a good idea, but would really like advice, also re universal v Nissan electrics. Also whether any problems that I need to look out for re camera's /electrics- why Nissan recalls on their own towbars etc? Will get fitter to do electrics as not competent/confident myself!Any advice appreciated.
1.2 DIG-T petrol pearl black Teckna xtronic

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Please fit the 13 pin socket to the car and use a commonly available adapter to mate it to your trailer's socket. I run vehicles with both types and trailers now with the 13 pins. The 13 pin is the future and all trailers will be fitted with it from now on and it is a far superior socket with positive attachment.Not sure about Witter's tow system but I have no reason to think that they have any issues. They are a very well established towbar company. If there is a choice of a socket and loom that just plugs and plays, go for it. There's nothing worse than a socket loom that has to be Skotchlocked into the individual electrical wires of the car's loom.Try also, since you are thinking of a removable hitch, to get one that is almost undetectable when the ball is removed and stored. The 13 pin electrical socket should ideally be sprung loaded and swing up behind the bumper, completely unseen when not in use.Hope that helps you by mentioning a few features that you might not otherwise think of.
Quacker2015-03-16 13:57:12
Wheelie Bealie

Post by Wheelie Bealie »

I've got a fixed swan neck fitted to mine, doesn't get in the way or look ugly in my opinion (each to their own I know), reason I went for a fixed towbar instead of detachable was that I had a detachable on my last car and never ever bothered to remove it!
2014 1.5dCi Tekna (Manual)
bozzyloz

Post by bozzyloz »

Thankyou that is really helpful. I will ask for a 13 pin socket and relook at the swan neck- it just looked a bit long but no doubt helpful for hitching up. This may sound stupid, but when fitted does it automatically detect the trailer as part of the car or will it beep at me- in which case do I need to disable beeping system when trailer attached?
1.2 DIG-T petrol pearl black Teckna xtronic
Deleted User 1571

It will not beep at you when a trailer is behind and plugged in. No switching needed.With the reversing camera, it will be fantastic for hitching up, because you will see the ball and the drawbar as you approach it. Personally I would pay for the removable swan-neck, because I do actually remove it every time unless I know I will be towing again within a day or two. It is obviously not essential.To be clear, my Qashqai is the only car I own that does not actually have a hitch. The Honda does have a removable one. Others are fixed heavy-duty ones for towing up to 3.5 tons.

Quacker2015-03-16 20:05:03
Sveneng

Post by Sveneng »

I spoke to my dealer about the tow bar recall and they said it was concerning the sealant used around the fixing bolts. Apparently some were fitted with so much sealant that if it wears away over time it could leave the bolts loose.
Deleted User 1571

The Qashqai isn't particularly rigid in torsion, so that could have all kinds of unexpected effects when a heavy duty rigid beam is bolted across the back. Someone is sure to ask where I got that idea from. Its something I read soon after the current model was launched, to the effect that the rear hatch would not open and close while on an axle twister, in contrast to a selection of other similar cars tested. This does not matter one jot as far as the car's dynamics and safety or durability goes, but I guess it might cause stresses at the towbar's attachment points if this was not thought about beforehand. The Nissan tow bar was actually withdrawn from sale for a while, so I doubt whether it was a 'sealer' issue. Why use a sealer anyhow? I don't know of any other tow bar that has a sealer applied at attachment points. There may be examples, but I'm not aware of any and cannot imagine a reason for such.Perhaps they meant the threadlock applied to the fixing bolts? Sounds more like bull excrement to me.EditIt seems I read about the rigidity on this very forumhttp://www.qashqaiownersclub.co.uk/forum/weak- ... c1538.html

Quacker2015-03-17 19:55:51