2014 Qashqai - Winter Tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
LucaModric

Post by LucaModric »

New winter season 2015/16 is almost here. I am looking for winter tires for my J11 Qashqai in dimension 215/65/16. For moderate Mediterranean winters and 5000km/winter season of easy family ride. Wet grip, cold dry grip, comfort and low noise are my priorities. Any suggestions? Maybe new Nokian WR D4...

p.s. I know that premium brands like Conti, GY, Michelin are safe play, but I am not so enthusiastic for paying extra for tire qualities that I do not need e.g. snow ride because there are literally 10 days of snow in my city and that snow is quickly removed from streets by local road maintenance. I've read that one member even tried Nexen tires and was pleased with them.

ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Hello fellow QQ owners,

I just swapped my summer tyres (original equipment -18 inch) with 16 inch Nokian WR D4 along with a new set of Dezent Silver alloys. I got the wheel size and tyre size matched perfectly to those mentioned in the manual.

First impressions - the steering has gotten a bit lighter. The ride is much smoother compared to the original Continentals and the cornering is more reassuring. The temperature has not yet dipped to winter conditions but I assume the tyres will prove its mark even then.

I got the tyres ordered online and wheels & tpms from the tyre expert garage here. Everything went well, except the tpms would not function, it kept displying - Pressures appear while driving. I headed back to the tyre garage and they told me that it was programmed to fit the QQ and then they said it was cheaper brand which would only indicate if the pressure was low. I felt like this was bull****.

Got back home, read the manual about activating the tpms. I did that on a cold SUnday morning, finally the message vanished but now the tpms warning light has come on. I checked the pressure, adjusted it and the warning light is still there. I finally booked an appointment with the Nissan dealer & he says they just need to re-program it. Hope it all works out !!!!

Anybody out there, with wheels and sensors fixed from outside the Nissan dealer?
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

ThreeSixty, we ordered our Winter Wheels & Tires from Nissan when we ordered our QQ and we got a good price. We went from the 19" Tekna Alloy Wheels down to 16" Steelies (do not look nice but function well) with Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 (M&S) 215/65 R16 98T with TPMS Valves and Nissan OEM Plastic Caps. I personally prefer to Go through the Dealer because if the "S_ _ _ hits the Fan" I found our Dealer easier to deal with when Problems arise. I also found the Winter Tires lighter and smoother but that is most probably down to the cross section of the Tire width- Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Hello Dave, just out curiosity (& to eventually kick myself) , how much did this cost you in Germany?
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

I have a set of Juke 17" alloys that were used with our old Juke Nismo. These are fitted with Dunlop SP Winter Sports. Good tyres at a reasonable price. Everything supplied by our dealer.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

ThreeSixty, Sorry ! but I am stuck out in Florida at present and my facts and figures are at home - Dave :D
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
LucaModric

Post by LucaModric »

After a short research on optimum winter tyres for me, I decided:
1) to go with a premium brand; GoodYear and Dunlop are my favourites
2) to keep 17" alloys for winter season
3) to change summer to winter tyres at authorised Nissan dealership/garage. Here it costs only 20 GBP for all 4 wheels and I can have a peacefull mind regardnig TPMS.
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

Have just put my winter tyres on, took my 19" alloys off and put 16" steel rims with Nokian WR D4 225/45R 102H Tyres fitted with new TPMS valves. Only problem i had was with the insurance company, they refused to insure me as i had gone down to 16" wheels even though they are within Nissan specs. I ended up cancelling the policy and went with one that would cover it. I have found the ride better on 16" and the fuel consumption a lot better :)
This was taken whilst i had been travelling between 60 and 70 MPH.
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Hello Roadie, in the manual tyre size for 16" is 215/65 R16. Could this be the reason for the insurance not covering it? When I fixed the winter tyres, I was given a certificate of approval that the specs conform to the original manufacturer. Its all in German though :) , (can just about read French). Anyways if done at the Nissan dealer, I would assume that the insurance would continue to cover as the modifications are well within the manufacturer's recommendation?

With reference to my previous post, the dealer did a check and apparently the TPMS fixed by the tyre expert is not a genuine Nissan TPMS and hence the error & they cannot fix it ):
Roadie

Post by Roadie »

Hi ThreeSixty, my error they are 215/65 R16 i have fitted. They would cover them as i changed from 19" down to 16" so as far as they are concerned i had changed the car spec from delivery and would not cover. I tried explaining it's all within the car and Nissan specs but they would not budge, what makes it worse it's the company that insure you for free so you drive the car away. I only went with then as they gave my a blooming good quote to transfer my insurance over to them. Well it's their loss now as i have moved to a insurance that lets me do what i want without telling them as long as it's all within the car and Nissan specs. As for the TPMS mine work fine, just took a couple of miles at a steady speed for them to register.