Continental Tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

@gvmdaddy - yup, I got 18k out of the Conti's on the front which I didn't think was too bad but the Nexens have beaten them hands down...

@Teknaman - naturally, the type of driving will impact wear rates - most of my mileage is M/Way & A Roads so guess this is quite easy on the tyres.

chee

Post by chee »

Just booked mine in for Nexens a week today since they've got such good reviews from the guys on the forum, the wife drives the car 95% of the time around town, car will be 2 years old in Jan and 2 front Conti's are right at the limit of the min tread depth and only done about 13k miles, I've never known tyres wear out so quickly! Booked in at local ATS for £85 per corner
2014 (64) Nissan Qashqai, Gun Grey Tekna, 1.2
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

If you arrange ATS via Top Cashback you'd save a further 5.25% :)

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/search/me ... omaster+UK
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Just ordered 2 Conti's for front wheels to be fitted next week.The car just reached 21k miles in 31 month driving. The dealer said the rears are ok for up to another 12k miles or so, I am happy with that and although the Nexus tyres look good value I am a believer in buying quality first.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Just because something is cheaper, does not mean they are not of good quality!
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Not saying there is anything of concern over the Nexus tyres, but after 69 years of life, I have discovered that pretty often items that are cheaper is because they in some way do not meet meet the standards of more expensive items. Similar to what the cheaper Whirlpool tumble drier buyers are seeing with them catching fire.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little.
When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done.

If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”

John Ruskin
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

jonceebee wrote:Just ordered 2 Conti's for front wheels to be fitted next week.The car just reached 21k miles in 31 month driving. The dealer said the rears are ok for up to another 12k miles or so, I am happy with that and although the Nexus tyres look good value I am a believer in buying quality first.
I got 42,000 out of my Conti rears so you should get another 22k out of yours at least!

Out of interest, which part of the Nexen quality were you unhappy with? You'll be surprised to learn they beat the Conti's in 4 out of the 6 main test criteria on the tyre reviews website, and were beaten by only 1% or 2 % points on the other...
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

rm0rgan wrote:
jonceebee wrote:Just ordered 2 Conti's for front wheels to be fitted next week.The car just reached 21k miles in 31 month driving. The dealer said the rears are ok for up to another 12k miles or so, I am happy with that and although the Nexus tyres look good value I am a believer in buying quality first.
I got 42,000 out of my Conti rears so you should get another 22k out of yours at least!

Out of interest, which part of the Nexen quality were you unhappy with? You'll be surprised to learn they beat the Conti's in 4 out of the 6 main test criteria on the tyre reviews website, and were beaten by only 1% or 2 % points on the other...
I am not making any criticism of Nexan tyres, just a great believer in the quality of Conti's or Michelin tyres. I suppose it goes back to my working days of company cars where I did 30k plus miles every year for over 30 years. The company always insisted either Conti or Michelin tyres were fitted, and in all those years only ever had one puncture, good mileage and felt safe with them.

My wife had a bad experience once after being talked into budget tyres with a major blow out which split the inner wall, the fitter checked the other tyres and found two of out the other three also had bulges that could have gone the same way.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get my head around how a tyre can be nearly 90% cheaper than a similar one when the same size etc.
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

jonceebee wrote:Not saying there is anything of concern over the Nexus tyres, but after 69 years of life, I have discovered that pretty often items that are cheaper is because they in some way do not meet the standards of more expensive items. Similar to what the cheaper Whirlpool tumble drier buyers are seeing with them catching fire.
I'm struggling to make the connection between the tumble drier and rubber tyres but it does prove a point - you really are just paying for the name - that's the role of Marketing and I should know as I am one!

If it makes you feel good then the Marketeers have done their job well but if you look through all the hype, you'll see many of the standards and regulations they work to are common across all manufacturers.