Continental Tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

May assist. :D
TPMS_.pdf
(26.34 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

The "Reset" I was meaning was the TPMS reacting automatically above the 16mph as I am not used to this as normally I do not drive with this Setting. It is just as Gel supplied on his pdf - Sorry if it was confusing Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

Good to see a few people have converted to Nexen - you'll recall I was the first to go over back in May last year and thought I'd give a quick update on wear and performance to date. Price paid was about £80 a corner at the time and I see you can still get them at £86 so not much increase in price - there are now many more reviews as well to look at.

As Splank said - they are quiet on the road (in fact quieter than the Conti's), stop well in all weathers (even though they are technically classed as a summer tyre) and I can today report having just ticked over 37,000 miles in 18 months that they are outlasting the OEM Conti's by quite some margin - had my 36,000 mile service last week and they still have between 3.7mm and 4mm of tread left evenly over both tyres. I changed my Conti's at 18,000 miles (fronts only). The Conti's on the rear are now down to similar figures as the fronts so next time around I will be replacing all 4 with the same again...

My advice is this to anyone considering changing tyres - Don't pay silly prices for leading brands - people who claim it's false economy or dangerous are simply deluded by the marketing and scaremongering. Hope this helps save someone a few bob! :-)
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

hi do they have rim protection? thanks Brian ps there is a dunlop that is 3 decibels quieter than he conti as well with rim gaurd thanks for the info brian
brian
paplane

Post by paplane »

brianthelian wrote:hi do they have rim protection? thanks Brian ps there is a dunlop that is 3 decibels quieter than he conti as well with rim gaurd thanks for the info brian
I've just this morning had 4 Nexens fitted. I paid £92 each from Openeo (free delivery). I got them delivered directly to a local tyre place that was on their list of fitters. Fitting's not included in their prices so you have to make your own arrangements with the fitter when they arrive. That cost an additional £12.50 each, so £50 all in to get four tyres fitted. Total cost of 4 fitted Nexens was £418.00. Openeo are a polish company (I think) and I tracked the tyres from their source in Germany via the tracking numbers they gave me. I was a bit nervous about them trusting them but the local fitter said beforehand that he'd never heard of any problems with them and the tyres always arrived as they should. I think I was only the second or third Openeo fit that he'd done. The new Nexens do have a little rim protection, but I would say not enough to prevent kerb damage on contact. There's a photo at the end.

Time will tell if the Nexen's are any good but to be honest, I'm not the kind of driver who would be able to tell the difference between one set of tyres and another. The original Conti's were at 2.7mm on the front and 5.5 on the back after 17k miles (2 years) before them came off, so not as bad as others on here.

Incidentally, I'll share my experiences with the tyre pressure monitoring sensors (TPMS) and new wheels as others in the future might find it useful. The reason I changed the tyres was that I picked up some Tekna 19 inch rims for a good price (was running bog standard silver 17 inch rims before). When I got them I then realised that if I was to keep the old wheels and tyres as spares then I needed to buy an additional set of TPMS sensors. You can really get robbed with the TPMS sensors so if anyone's looking to buy a set, watch out. Some websites out there charge outrageous prices for them and as these generally aren't OEM parts they then need programming. Nissan quoted me £135 for a set of 4 sensors which would obviously work out of the box. That's expensive but acceptable I thought. But after doing a little more research I found out that if you buy them new then you also have to buy the small rubber washer and bolt for the outside. Nissan failed to mention this when I asked them for a price. These on their own are another £10ish per sensor - daylight robbery. So in the end I gambled and bought some used Nissan sensors off ebay for £100 (for 4) which had the washer & bolts with them. Thank heavens they started to work after about 5 minutes of running. It would have been a costly affair to take the tyres off to replace them had they not worked and I had my fingers crossed until they sprang into life!

20160405_135629.jpg

ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Gel wrote:May assist. :D
Thank you Gel, had seen it in the manual and tried it as well with no luck.
Dave, you were right about a faulty TPMS
Took the car to the tyre dealer who swapped my summer/winter tyres & stores them today and found on the TPMS scanner that one of the sensors(front right)'s battery was dead. Well, will now wait until my service next month with the dealer to get this fixed.

Well looked around for TPMS battery life and replacement & found the following, maybe useful for someone looking around.

http://www.tpmsdirect.com/TPMS_Sensor_B ... _a/850.htm
http://www.tirereview.com/changing-tpms ... batteries/

Hopefully these will be replaced under warranty during service.
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.
simmo400

Post by simmo400 »

Anyone have a comment on ASDA TYRES.. 19 inch wheels for a TEKNA are £83.94 fitted. The make DELINTE. Any comments on the price value for money etc....................
Simmo
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

43,000 miles...Well, I've finally got to the point where my Nexen SU1's are starting to feel like they need changing on the fronts (down to 3mm after 25,000 miles of use - a mix of motorways, A & B driving).

The Contis on the rear have done the full 43,000 miles so all in all very pleased with this but these are also now down to 3mm so I'm changing all four in one go. Like the Contis, as the tread wears down I find more road noise starts to enter the cabin and the ride starts to degrade as it becomes more 'crashy' over potholes, so I'm genuinely looking forward to having all four tyres the same and brand new :-)

I was really quite surprised how much of a difference it made when I changed the fronts last year.

I really can't praise these Nexens enough for the price - 4 tyres fitted at ATS is costing £358.60 so a bit of a bargain!!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

rm0rgan wrote:43,000 miles...Well, I've finally got to the point where my Nexen SU1's are starting to feel like they need changing on the fronts (down to 3mm after 25,000 miles of use - a mix of motorways, A & B driving).

The Contis on the rear have done the full 43,000 miles so all in all very pleased with this but these are also now down to 3mm so I'm changing all four in one go. Like the Contis, as the tread wears down I find more road noise starts to enter the cabin and the ride starts to degrade as it becomes more 'crashy' over potholes, so I'm genuinely looking forward to having all four tyres the same and brand new :-)

I was really quite surprised how much of a difference it made when I changed the fronts last year.

I really can't praise these Nexens enough for the price - 4 tyres fitted at ATS is costing £358.60 so a bit of a bargain!!
So is that correct that you got about 18k miles out of your original Continentals on the front?
Teknaman

Post by Teknaman »

Been a very interesting read this post, so the fact my fronts were <3mm at 12.5k isn't really too surprising. At least they've been replaced now....with a new set (with only 6.8mm tread!) I'm gonna check out those Nexens - thanks !
2015 Qashqai 1.6 2wd Dci Tekna Ink Blue with Pano roof...otherwise it's standard spec, so lots of scope for additions.