Tyre Repair - Just for comment

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

I'd noticed over the last few weeks that my front offside tyre was showing as losing a couple of PSI every 7 days on average.I'd inspected the tyre as best i could but couldn't find anything wrong with it and was starting to wonder if i had a dodgy valve or a poor seal against the alloy.This morning, after not driving the last couple of days, i found i'd lost 6 PSI.Again a cursory inspection and i couldn't find anything out of the ordinary with it.Re-inflated the tyre and drove about 7 miles and the pressure remained stable (went up slightly).After pulling up in the local tyre repair place to get them to have a proper look i noticed a tiny black screw in the tread.On inspection the screw had barely gone through and was leaking out air only intermittently.So my QQ is now the proud owner of the worlds smallest ever tyre repair (probably).
Nissan no more...

TeknaBJ

Post by TeknaBJ »

Same thing happened to me 2 days after taking delivery of our first qashqai (fortunately I had a space saver, as the screw had gone through the wall of the tyre) Not a happy experience however one that has not been repeated, says she hoping not to tempt providence
Wheelie Bealie

Post by Wheelie Bealie »

I had five of the buggers in the first 15,000 miles, last car 140,000 miles and just one blowout! Reckon the Conti's must be quite soft and pick up road debris fairly easily. Don't have Conti's on mine now though...
2014 1.5dCi Tekna (Manual)
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Yres, I also had two screws in mine within a week, luckily none since (touch wood) I think Wheelie is correct Conti tyres are a little on the soft side and are easily penetrated. Considering when working, I used do 30k miles per year plus , year in year out, I only ever had three punctures in over 30 years and one total blow out.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

This is the second "screw" I've picked up in the last three years.In the yeti the tyre had only done 400 miles and it was not repairable due to the size and location. I wasn't a happy bunny.This one was so small it barely got through the tyre and was, thankfully, repaired without much of an issue.Both the cars had Continentals. Possibly unlucky coincidence but worth keeping in mind.Prior to that i've never had a puncture (or cars with conti tyres).The only other "failure" i've had was when a side wall started to "egg" on a pirelli that had done about 35K miles.
Nissan no more...
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

There are statistics and damned lies of course but you seem to have conclusively proven that Continental tyres and punctures do go hand in hand, Watch this space but good to see that at least this latest one was little more than a pin-prick!
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.