beneath wheels and car body.

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Ozrockit

Post by Ozrockit »

Well after an interesting read about not using the supplied J11 jack (I used it once and fully agree ie- 19" rims= full height extension =deadly needed to lift the rims off the ground) anyway I had used my trolley jack with no ill effects at the jack point and today I cut a slotted puck out of a bit of 2" fabric conveyor belt, which worked a treat. What I have been doing if pulling off the rims and removing all the over-sprayed under-body paste that caked the inside of the rim and tyre. A small amount if turps removed the resin and got the inside of the rim looking as good as the outside black painted area. I thought this was a bit slab dash but fixable, however while I was testing my jack spacer under the car I noticed a streak or 2 of heavy black grease under the car. I was thinking why would that be there, the rest of the underneath was fairly clean. This weekend I intend to put it up on ramps, degrease the under, dry it and coat the underneath woth Lano-tech (lanolin) spray to keep the underneath water/mud/dust repellent. Has anyone removed any of there rims yet? the rim to hub connection I found to be surface rusting so I removed the rust and coated with a white lithium grease smear before I did up the wheels. hope this will further inhibit the unsightly rust spots. There have been a few "head scratchers" over what I consider untidy finishing of a beautiful car.
Ozrockit2014-12-21 14:24:05
J11 2.0L Petrol

Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

I've noticed the over spray on the inside of the rims. I'll have to give the turps a go when I put them back on.
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

I always use copper grease when changing my wheels
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Sveneng

Post by Sveneng »

I found the same sort of grease on the inside of the Acenta rims that I bought for my winter tyres. They were taken off a new Qashqai by the main dealer before I bought them, I presumed the car had been driven through a couple of greasy puddles. I then found it was the same story on my 19" Tekna rims when I took them off a couple of weeks ago. A bit of time with some polish before putting several coats of Poorboys wheel sealant should see the winter rims protected throughout the cold seasons. I always clean the inside of the rims as well as the face, getting underneath the car if needed.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Grease could be from the hub or split CV joint. Have you checked those at all?
Sveneng

Post by Sveneng »

If that question's for me then it's definitely nothing from my car. It was on the winter alloys I bought before they were put on the car, from a delivery mileage car. I thoroughly clean the arches and alloys weekly and had a good inspection when the wheels were changed from summer to winter tyres. Additionally I've been underneath using my underbody lance to remove general road grime and to clean the rear of the alloys weekly.

If the question wasn't aimed at me then you've just found out I'm a little OCD when it comes to cleaning my cars!
Ozrockit

Post by Ozrockit »

righto, I have had a decent look underbody by putting it up on ramps, THE GREASE IS SPRAYED ON !! ok wow, and I mean black sticky grease.. would someone humour me and let me know if this is only for exported? cheers
J11 2.0L Petrol
dani87

Post by dani87 »

DONT wash it off. Its underseal. Designed to stop it rusting. DONT USE WHITE GREASE ON THE HUB. ( bit the wheel bolts onto) as it will go runny when heated by the brakes and could possibly contaminate the brakes. The rust is surface rust and wont do any damage. Just put a small ammount of copper grease on the bit that sticks out in the center of the hub. This is the main contact/ centralizing point of the wheel. Dont paint it on thick all over the disk as it can get hot and start to run onto the disk. Maybe in the new year i will do some demo maintanance videos.
Ozrockit

Post by Ozrockit »

ok.. just seems.. weird.. painting underneath a car with grease (!).. I am sure there are better coatings that viscous grease, our Aussie roads probably reach 120f which would explain its semi liquid state at the moment. re the rims, I would have thought the smear of hi temp lithium grease would fair better on the disks than the random overspray of sticky grease rust protection on the inside of the tyre/rim/disk. anyhoo.. I am going to be interested to see what this undercar grease coating will look like in condition after summer.. keep you all posted.. I did the lip lube as well where the rim grooved onto the hub, it was also rusted and had a grinding noise once I had the bolts out. will be interested in your maintenance vid. I just looked up the specs on copper grease anti-seizeI will stop using white lithium as it boils at 59degC LOL.. copper grease lubricates to 220Deg and will handle antisieze apps up to 1100degC. brakes operate at 400ish they say.
Ozrockit2014-12-24 08:53:19
J11 2.0L Petrol
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

If you clean off any of the factory underbody treatment that will be the end of the corrosion warranty. Manufacturers have for years been using different products in different areas, they must work, not had a rusty car since the early 80's and never so much as cleaned under a car in that time. As or the hubs I use coppaslip where the centre of the wheel locates on the hub if the garage don't do it when they service the car. Prevents the wheels sticking to the hub which can be a right pain on a dark wet night when you have a puncture.