Puncture repair kit

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Toxteth O'Grady

Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Whilst browsing on the Halfords website I've come across this roadside puncture repair kit

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/breakd ... g-kit#tab1

It's remarkably cheap - £4.99 - and seems to be a decent alternative to the dreaded fill up with gunk (thereby losing any chance of getting the puncture professionally repaired and killing the tyre pressure reading valve) or wait for a tow from the recovery company. What reviews there are suggest that it's more than a "get home" solution and can last at least 1,500 miles (can't say I'd be so brave / foolish to try that though).

Looks like it can only be used for repairs to punctures in the tread, as opposed to the sidewall, but that's no different to what the gunk or a professional repair can deal with.

Has anyone got any experience of this product (or an equivalent) or any views on its efficiency?

Cheers
White 1.6 dCi 2WD Tekna via drivethedeal.com.
Still wishing they'd call it the Nissan Rogue.

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

This is what I use and have used many many times in the past. Not this brand.It can be done while the wheel is on the car and needs a bit of air in the tyre to work. It presupposes that you can find the puncture and that you have a source of air, such as the compressor fitted to some cars.It is not strictly legal in the UK to run for long with a string plug like this but it is far better and more reliable than foam gunge and leaves the tyre suitable for more permanent repair. I've never bothered myself, as the worse that can happen is that it springs a leak again and it has never happened to me yet. Commercial tyre depots and garages will only fit internal mushroom type plugs which need the tyre removed. Obviously [I'd have thought to most people"]] a plug should not be used if it is suspected that structural damage has occurred to the tyre due to, for instance, impact damage or prolonged running at low pressure.Some kits of thicker rubber strings have a reamer or file to smooth the hole before inserting the plug. Allow 20 minutes for the cement to work its magic before fully inflating and driving off. I suspect that 10 minutes before starting to pump with the weedy supplied boot compressor would be ample.[TUBE"]]LRQJgTxRhOA[/TUBE"]]
Quacker2014-12-06 23:33:36
Toxteth O'Grady

Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Thanks Quacker.

It looks like the product at Halfords could be a simpler "emergency", i.e. get you home, solution, not requiring any other tools or liquids (albeit that you still need to remove the cause of the puncture, I presume).

Not (yet) having owned a car with a gunk compressor in place of a spare wheel, I don't know if this is correct, but I presume that the compressor could be used without the involvement of the gunk, so it acts as a simple air compressor to inflate the tyre with air alone
White 1.6 dCi 2WD Tekna via drivethedeal.com.
Still wishing they'd call it the Nissan Rogue.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Toxteth O'Grady, these Plugs are also looked on as an Emergency Repair here (pretty Strong Laws) as the Repair is nearly always carried out on the Car as a "Quick Repair". There is also no chance that tyre construction can be examined for damage. All of the points mentioned by Quacker are very important. We had a Winter Tyre with a screw in it and I was against this Repair and was just asked "do you Drive on Autobahns often" my answer "No!" , tyre was repaired, held up and we drove for around 4 years with it until we got the QQ - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Interesting; not in stock at my Halfords, so ordered one of these, which looks better value:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151289343300
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
coeb12

Post by coeb12 »

New solution found for the puncture problem..... NO SPARE WHEEL.... NO GUNKhttp://vitaminl.tv/video/7078?ref=fpfv
Tekna 1.5dci pearl white ordered 01.09.14 delivered 24.11.14 Thermaclear, auto fold wing mirrors, panoramic roof, spare wheel as standard. After market mud flaps
Kev1nDonn
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Kev1nDonn »

Buy four and save your tyres
Tekna 1.5 dci in Metallic Grey with Full Leather (Black) and Driver Assist Pack.
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

[quote="Gel"]
Interesting; not in stock at my Halfords, so ordered one of these, which looks better value:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151289343300[/QUOTE]
That's the type of thing I use for cars, trucks, tractors and quads. You'll have noted the reamer in that kit, of which I mentioned earlier. Don't overdo the reaming and try to follow the path of the puncture. Don't forget to trim the plug flush with the tyre before driving away. I prefer the string or solid rubber plug to the plastic tube type, but they all are applied and work the same.
TC3

Post by TC3 »

Just reserved one for pick up at local Halfords so cheers for the heads up. Would have handy when tyre picked up a screw back in June
Tony ... 1.5 Acenta Premium in Gunmetal