TPMS RDKS (what I have learnt this week)

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Eziv2730

Post by Eziv2730 »

[quote="PeterL"]He's not correct, not at all,I have just had a new set of Winter tyres fitted with Nissan TPMS to a set of 17" wheels by an independent garage. They work, no calibration no need for any programming and no additional expense. There's a change.[/QUOTE]
That's interesting because one Nissan garage wanted to charge me 50 euros for "programming"; the other one I eventually went to said it would do it for free. So it was all a sham?
White J11 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 CVT

Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

My thoughts on the whole TPMS discussion.......I can confirm that if you don't fit TPMS to a set of winter wheels/tyres then you car will not explode, the world won't come to an end and you will save yourself the cost of an annual service (nearly).You will however end up having an orange exclamation mark within an orange triangle between the speedo and rev counter. If you suffer from a severe case of OCD, you will probably start to get a nervous twitch seeing a warning light on constantly, but it doesn't bother me at all.My other car and SWMBO's car don't have a TPMS system either and they still work.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Just remember though, that if your winter set is on the car when the MOT is due then you must have them fitted with the TPMS valves otherwise it is an MOT fail.
Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

Don't know about you, but my MOT isn't due until 2017, so I'm not going to get too excited by it at the moment.
ragna

Post by ragna »

If i buy a 16' space saver wheel rim that some dealers are selling on ebay for about £40 and fit a cheap tyre to use as get u home solution after a puncture and dont get a TPMS valve fitted all i will get is a warning between the speedo and rev counter but no audible warning is this correct
2014 QQ 1.2 Accenta Premium, Storm White
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="Eziv2730"][quote="PeterL"]He's not correct, not at all,I have just had a new set of Winter tyres fitted with Nissan TPMS to a set of 17" wheels by an independent garage. They work, no calibration no need for any programming and no additional expense. There's a change.[/QUOTE]
That's interesting because one Nissan garage wanted to charge me 50 euros for "programming"; the other one I eventually went to said it would do it for free. So it was all a sham? [/QUOTE]
What do you think it is then?
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

I can see how the TPMS vales would self register in terms of sending a signal with the tyre pressure but how on earth do they know which wheel they are on so the display is correct for all 4 wheels?
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

F1 Bob, don't know nor care, just that they do. It does tell you in the handbook that they do.
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="F1 Bob"]I can see how the TPMS vales would self register in terms of sending a signal with the tyre pressure but how on earth do they know which wheel they are on so the display is correct for all 4 wheels?[/QUOTE]I too like to know these things try herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_TPMS
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Sveneng

Post by Sveneng »

I think it'll be a low powered signal from the TPMS with a receiver located near each wheel, possibly in the wheel arch somewhere. No confusion then as each receiver is tied into one location, ie front left/right etc. I may be wrong however.