Snow Chains

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

I can usually find snow chains for around £25 a pair...Aldi, lidl, eurocarparts, gsf, etc all do them...but no-one seems to do a set of chains for my 225/45/19 tyres in that price range?Any ideas?

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Spinal, did you take a look at my comments under "Chassis, Wheels & Tyres" / "Clip on Snow Belts". Take a look and see if they help you - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

I did - but tbh, they were about 3x what I expect to pay snow chains (£25-£30), don't appear to be legally approved and not "rugged" enough...I need chains to drive to the Alps - where chains are a legal requirement. The line under the belts description "They can be used instead of chains wherever the use of snow chains is not obligatory." to me says it wont work for me.Similarly, snow socks won't work.I have winter tyres fitted, I wouldn't drive around without them. I need something to get me to the house in Italy, which is up a road that isn't plowed :)After a fair bit of research online, I've found a set for £35 delivered. Tempted to get those instead of waiting until I'm already in Italy...M.
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

Sometimes it is not possible to fit the large option wheels with chains. Check with the dealer before buying something you cannot use.
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

Thanks - my local dealer (WLMG) was entirely useless. "We don't do them, nor can help you." So much for after sales service...Thule make a set of chains for the 2014+ Qashqai with 224/45/19 wheels ( http://www.snowchains.com/_uploads/_dow ... ot-com.pdf ) !! big file !! the qashqai is on page 38 and still has 21mm clearance, so a standard 12mm snow chain shouldn't be an issue.M.
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="Spinal"]Thanks - my local dealer (WLMG) was entirely useless. "We don't do them, nor can help you." So much for after sales service...Thule make a set of chains for the 2014+ Qashqai with 224/45/19 wheels ( http://www.snowchains.com/_uploads/_dow ... ot-com.pdf ) !! big file !! the qashqai is on page 38 and still has 21mm clearance, so a standard 12mm snow chain shouldn't be an issue.M.[/QUOTE]
Spinal, do you know what legal requirements in Alps areas is? Is it enough to have chains on front wheels or is it required to be fitted on rear wheels as well. Thank you
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Spinal, the cost you mention seems relatively cheap to me for something that involves safety. If you look at ebay or Amazon there are lots of chains but at a relatively high cost. Perhaps the Quality / Strength / Fitting of the Chains could be a problem ?, I could be wrong naturally - Dave?Y??
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

Duncho - legally, only the wheels connected to the engine (ruote motrici) - so if you have the FWD, two are enough. If you have the 4x4 you need 4. (In Italy at least). Germany is worse; a German insurance company will assign blame to you following an accident if you don't have winter tyres on. Studded tyres are a nightmare as you legally need them on snow (if using them to replace snow chains), but legally can't use them on tarmac. So they're out in my eyes.Dave: I've had £200 chains and £20 chains - keep in mind that regardless of what you spend, it's highly unlikely that they will survive more than a season. A combination of wear, friction and salt will ruin them. I know people that wash them after every use, and have had a set for years... but I would much rather spend £25 a year and make sure I have a nice new set. I have a garage full of chains or random sizes - each car has it's set now... utter pain :pAdd to that the fact that you cannot drive more than 30km/h (20mph) on chains, and for very short distances (6km in my case - from the town to the house) and the potential for problems is quite reduced. The only advantage I've seen on expensive chains is fitting speed/ease. They've come a LONG way in recent years. I'm quite used to the annoying classic type, so as long as there's a semi-rigid wire-back rear, I'm happy. I don't need springs and ratchets and and things :p My personal buying criteria are simple - no plastic contacting the road, only steel on the road. The rest can have rubber/plastic all around for all I care.That's why I haven't tried the michelin "net" style things. They seem very grippy, but I don't think they would last a season.Snow socks seem useful, but I've found that unless you're on powder, they wear out too quickly on ice... maybe it's just me. Also, they don't grip so well on the ski slopes (fastest way to the house :p cuts about 3km out of the journey).M.EDIT: These are the chains I got:http://www.polaire.eu/chaine-neige-vl-v ... erestingly the company has partnered with rossignol, so they can't be that bad quality...

Spinal2014-11-19 16:02:21
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Spinal, thanks for your answer at least these sort of facts educate the people like me that have never bought or needed Snow Chains. Thanks Again I hope you get sorted out Dave
duncho

Post by duncho »

Thank you Spinal!
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!