New tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
chrisnewbold

Post by chrisnewbold »

Just had to have a new rear tyre fitted to my 2014 qashqai Tekna due to a rogue screw.

I noticed they fitted a 92 weight continental tyre as a opposed to the 96W on the other 3 wheels. The guy glossed over this. Should I be bothered?

Cheers

Chris

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Depends on if you were paying for it or not i would guess?If it's a company / fleet / lease car they'll have a list of "equivalent" tyres that they are allowed to use.I had a company car a few years ago that got a massive bolt in a rear tyre after i'd done less than 2K miles.The car tyres were low rolling resistance conti's and the fleet company insisted on putting on a uniroyal "rain expert" instead.I wouldn't do such a thing on my car but they were happy to put it in writing that they were happy the choice of tyre was correct.
AlleyCat2014-11-04 11:00:54
Nissan no more...
chrisnewbold

Post by chrisnewbold »

Yeah I was paying!! It think it's a suitable equivalent tyre, but it's the only one, whereas the others have a different W rating!
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Load index of 92w, 630 kg per tyre and 96w, 710 kg ; should normally be academic.Ideally tyre should match on opposite side of car. Hopefully tyre availability will improve as more QQ's hit road. I always check here re pricing as a benchmark.http://www.asdatyres.co.uk/225-45-19Bridgestone & Contis in 96W.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
chrisnewbold

Post by chrisnewbold »

Thanks Gel. You're saying that ideally they would match, but difference is academic? I think they struggled to get any tyre at all and this was what they could order quickly..
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Personally i'd be tempted, if you don't have one, to make that a "spare" at some point down the line and try get them all the same.It probably isn't going to cause any issues but i have a thing about mismtached tyres at the best of times.
Nissan no more...
paulyoung666

Post by paulyoung666 »

I would make certain it is OK from an insurance point of view ....
Graham452

Post by Graham452 »

From what I have read in the past, a car can fail its MOT if a load rating of a tyre is inadequate for the vehicle. As far as I am aware, all four tyres could have different load ratings and as long as they are adequate for the vehicle, it would pass an MOT test.Considering the maximum axle front axle weight is 1100kg, 92 rated tyres should be fine, if a little closer to the limit (610 x 2 = 1220kg).
Owner of a 1.2 DIG-T Acenta Premium in Gun Metallic
Wheelie Bealie

Post by Wheelie Bealie »

Just ordered 4 new tyres for mine, I suppose I can't moan that the OEM Continentals have lasted for 25000 miles (still a tiny bit left on them yet), had a couple of quotes from the usual cowboys, ATS, Kwik Fit etc and the best quote I could get was a fair bit north of £900! Anyway, managed to get a set of Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 in 225/45 ZR19 Load/speed rating - 96Y, all for the princely sum of £506.80 inc VAT and delivery, just have to get them fitted and on their website you can even enter your postcode and they will give you a list of local fitters and prices, works out about another £15 + VAT per wheel - Result! Thought I would get them now while a) They still have them in stock at that price and, b) I still have a job!
2014 1.5dCi Tekna (Manual)
MJCQQ

Post by MJCQQ »

It always amazes me when someone will pay ~£25K+ for a car yet will complain tyres are too expensive. Then cheap out and purchase mediocre tyres without doing any real homework.Sorry buddy but those Kumho tyres are pretty mediocre. Expect to add a fair few car lengths to your wet breaking distance in this part of the year. The Conti tyres on the QQ are all weather, the Kumho's are summer tyres. And they will be a fair bit noisier and give slightly less fuel economy.Original QQ tyres: 71dbKumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39: 74dbJust for reference, an in crease in 3db = twice the noise level.

MJCQQ2014-12-06 16:16:13