Noise in tha back after going to winter tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
draggo

Post by draggo »

I was pretty happy with the quiet ride on my new QQ. But it lasted only as long as I changed summer tyres to the winter tyres.Last week I bought new set of wheels from local dealer. I do not want to ruin alloy wheels in rough Estonian winter and bought new 16" steel wheels with Nokian Hakkapellita 7 SUV tyres on them. I decided to buy them from the dealer because QQ needs tyre pressure sensors and no other tyre dealer could provide them. I also fitted some beautiful covers for the wheels, that I bought for 20a‚¬.First it seemed that winter wheels are just a little bit noisier than summer wheels. That is not surprise, because winter tyres are studded. But after driving a week and about 800km on them the noise from the rear end of the car is just unbearable. On city speed it is not a big noise. I can hear the spikes on tarmac. But on road speed of 90km/h and above the humming noise is so big, that it is hard to hear someone speaking in the backseat. Is it normal or is it some new thing that needs to be fixed? Or maybe its just Nokian Hakkaellita tyres that are so noisy?Just have to say, that my car is first registered on February 2014. So it is one of the first new Qashqais.
Nissan Qashqai 2014 1,6 dCi Xtronic Safety Pack Connect

duncho

Post by duncho »

Interesting! I tried to fit mine in August already as I wanted to get TPMS sensors activated. I have Dunlop Winter Sport 4D on 17" alloy wheels and they were pretty fine to be honest. And these are rated as "noisy" by ADAC reviewers. Did you try to read some reviews about yours, and if so, is tyre/road noise rated on them? Maybe you've got problem with rear wheels bearings, which would be really funny as the car is 8 months old only.EDIT:I just checked them on internet and now it's crystal clear why they are so noisy :) Why have you bought those with spikes? In my country these type of tires are not legal on regular roads except only not easy accessible roads in mountains.

duncho2014-10-29 12:18:44
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
draggo

Post by draggo »

I did not read a lot about these tyres. Just checked the test that they have good grip because I drive a lot on a small roads wit gravel surface. I bought them because dealer offered these and only these. Now I do not know what to do with them. I also found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk0V2t7GLboI really like to use studded tyres. I have been using studded tyres for a years now. I know they are a little bit louder, but nothing like that!Does anyone else who uses studded tyres have suffered the same problem?
draggo2014-10-29 13:21:35
duncho

Post by duncho »

They are excellent on icy roads, but if they are too loud for you, try to return them to the dealer. They should have informed you about it as this type of tire is a bit unusual for our climate. They are more common for Nordic countries.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Qash

Post by Qash »

I ran studded tires for many years and the sound difference between them and ordinary winter tires is minimal. Nokian Hakkapelitta 7 is classified as 72 db, same like most tires on the market, both summer and winter tires. Do you hear unusual loud noise then it's something else wrong. Eg in Sweden dealer says that TPMS valve can not be mounted on 16 inch steel rims.
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Off the subject slightly, but are you sure that the Qashqai has a physical tyre pressure monitoring valve/sender in each wheel? Many current cars use the ABS anti-lock-brake system to monitor wheel rotation and detect tyre pressure difference that way, with no extra parts needed over the braking system.
Qash

Post by Qash »

i am 100% sure, it£s 433MHz valve also used in Renault cars.
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci
draggo

Post by draggo »

[quote="Qash"]Eg in Sweden dealer says that TPMS valve can not be mounted on 16 inch steel rims.[/QUOTE]
What does that means?I bought the same wheels that are fitted to the cheapest QQ Visia models. So, they are compatible with new QQ.I live in Northern country called Estonia and here we have at least 5 months of snow and ice. That's why I chose studded tyres. I have been using studded tyres for years and nothing like that have ever happened. I will go to the local dealer tomorrow to test my gearbox and I will tell them to look at this problem too.