Tyre change made impossible

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Squierrel

Post by Squierrel »

Here in Finland we have mandatory tyre change twice a year. It is now about time to change the winter tyres. The problem is that it has been made impossible.The manual is very clear about how to lift the car for tyre change: Lift only from the marked lifting spots using only the jack provided with the car, do not use any other type of jack. And yet there is no jack.The dealer says that the jack is not included with Qashqai, there is the compressor and the gunk bottle instead. He mentioned also that they don't even have the jack or any other jack fit for the purpose available for sale.It is common knowledge that the jacks provided with the car should be used only in emergencies on the road. They are not built to last eight tyre changes each year for the lifetime of the car. But the OEM jack is the only solution available for lifting the car... and it's not available. The jack needs to have a very specific shape of head to fit on the lifting spot. In the lifting spots there is the sheet metal bent downwards, so there must be a slot in the jack head for the bent part. This is common in most modern day cars. Some aftermarket mechanical jacks are provided with a head with the slot.The problem is that the pressure point that carries the weight varies. In some makes the vertical edge carries the weight, in others the horizontal parts around it are reinforced for lifting. In VAG cars only the inside horizontal part should be used. Nissan is not even providing the information about the lifting spots, about what shape of bit is needed between a regular jack and the car for correct weight distribution. Drivers are forced to risk damaging their cars with unsuitable jacks or preferably come to the dealer's for tyre change. This is downrioght nasty and on the long run very very stupid.Does anyone here have the original J11 Qashqai jack or is there such a thing in existence at all? I would like to see some description and measurements of the head that fits in the designated lifting spots.
1.6 dCi130 Xtronic Business 360

Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

If you go to a tyre fitters, how do they do it, I'm sure they don't use a 'Nissan' scissor jack, they will use a trolley jack. I'm sure I could find a suitable point to jack the vehicle up using a standard trolley jack and a piece of wood. In fact I'll need to do that in a few weeks.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

I used my wife's car jack, with a solid piece of hardwood sandwiched between it & jacking point tospread the load, whilst fitting Alloygators.LIDL do a get value jack from time to time; was round £20 I recall, and would make any lifting even easier. 3 Year guarantee, TUV approved.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Squierrel

Post by Squierrel »

I do have a hydraulic trolley jack, but I do not dare to use it, because I have damaged my previous car with it without a proper interface piece (which would have been available from a Skoda dealer). And mostly because Nissan specifically forbids using any other jack than the original, I am very unwilling to experiment with setups not approved by Nissan. If I damage the car, it will be my own fault.
Deleted User 1450

Deleted User 1450

Well I jacked mine up using a 2t trolley jack direct onto the jacking point with no problems / deformation whatsoever. I have ordered myself a jack pad adapter though.
Squierrel

Post by Squierrel »

I have received a permission to use a standard jack for tyre change from Nissan customer service. They have also admitted that the OEM jack is meant for emergencies only, it is not designed to last several seasonal tyre changes. I am still waiting for their instructions of the correct lifting point. Vertical edge or a horizontal surface nearby. Apparently the manual writers have not considered seasonal tyre changes at all. It is after all only a marginal thing required only in a few markets, like Scandinavia, Finland and Russia, maybe Baltics, too. A small percentage of the total sales.
Jhare

Post by Jhare »

I've just been in touch with the eBay supplier of the Jack Pad as described on Langy's message. What a helpful chap he is. He has explained how to measure the pinch weld along the sill and to contact him with that to ensure I get the correct size. Simple idea and so much safer than a chock of softwood.
2014 Tekna 1.2 DIG-T in Magnetic Red
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="Squierrel"]Apparently the manual writers have not considered seasonal tyre changes at all. It is after all only a marginal thing required only in a few markets, like Scandinavia, Finland and Russia, maybe Baltics, too. A small percentage of the total sales. [/QUOTE]Take a look at Winter Tyres - http://www.qashqaiownersclub.co.uk/foru ... tmlthere's a fair number of us that do intend to change our tyres on a regular basis albeit not do the deed ourselves with a flimsy jack.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

[quote="langy"]Something like this perhaps ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-pad-wi ... 3cea142cb9
[/QUOTE]Like it just bought one.
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.