Tekna tyre woes

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
keithg2308

Post by keithg2308 »

After nearly 6,000 miles I suffered the misfortune of having a puncture today when I was nearly 50 miles from home, no spare tyre, no problem I got tyre foam, what a joke !Rac patrol informed me that the foam would not fix my puncture (piece of metal split tyre) no problem Rac would take wheel to local Kwik Fit get tyre replaced and I will be on my way What a joke !Kwik fit does not stock 225/45/19 tyres which are standard on tekna trim !Had to wait for recovery truck to pick me and the car up to take me home car is now off the road for at least 48hrs as Kwik fit can not get a tyre until Wednesday at the earliest.Local Nissan dealer does not stock tyres either and have been unable to source one locally either so have no choice but to wait for Kwik fits mobile van to bring tyre to me.Really angry with Nissan for not fitting a spare wheel and supplying usless foam, angry for myself for not buying a spare wheel and angry with tyre dealers for not stocking tyres which are fitted as standard to new cars.
keith

jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

I had two punctures in one week but luckily it was slow and I re-inflated and got to the tyre shop. The second one was spotted by the fitter and also repaired on site.He looked at the tyres and said these are an unusual size, we have never fitted any and do not carry any stock of any make, and warned me that any replacement they would need a few days to get stock in place
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
duncho

Post by duncho »

I feel sorry for you guys over here in UK, don't get me wrong, but it's a bit funny to me how easy is to get flat tyre in UK :). Again, sorry if it's offensive it was never meant to be!
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
MJCQQ

Post by MJCQQ »

I feel the pain of the OP, I have been let down on two separate
occasions by those pathetic foam puncture repair things. Each time the
foam failed totally and the RAC had to be called. The last time it happened the tyre repair place told me had I not used the gloop
they could have repaired the tyre. With this knowledge I bought a spare tyre kit with my Accenta Premium at a cost of £190. I just don't trust those foam repair kits at all.I suppose it is hard to legislate for the fact that you will get a puncture and be stung for the price of a new tyre. Though since I passed my test nearly 20 years ago I have experienced 4 fast punctures, countless slow punctures. So for me it isn't a case of if, but when I will get a puncture.

MJCQQ2014-10-20 22:46:29
Beefy

Post by Beefy »

I must of had about 5 punctures in the 3 years I owned my QQ.
One was caused by running over a concrete garden ornament that had been smashed in the road. I saw it at the last minute and thought I had swerved enough to avoid it, but a few hundred yards later a tyre started to deflate.
Luckily my 11 plate tekna had the space saver.
2 more were nails, 1 was a pipe clip always seem to be in side wall and unrepairable.
Last one was a fairly quick deflation on the motorway late at night. Must have ran over something sharp as there was a fair gash in the inside edge. Didn't see or feel it at the time, just noticed a rumble that got louder and louder.

My QQ was a motability car so tyres were covered in the lease, but I felt uncomfortable each time when Quick fit were phoning for authorisation, especially as a few incidents seem to be in a short space of time.

My new Kuga has 19" wheels so I hope I have better luck, although it does come with a spare, thankfully.
2011 1.6 Petrol Tekna
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

I'd be telling Kwik Tits to FRO - hopelessly out of date tyre search engine.Tyres are available on BlackCircles at £202 each fitted - If and when I get a puncture, I will be recovering to home via RAC and if not repairable taking the wheel to my local garage.They are available cheaper on Camskill although you would need to get them fitted locally and allow for delivery time.I'd never let Kwik Twats touch my car.
rm0rgan2014-10-21 12:13:31
MJCQQ

Post by MJCQQ »

For me the fact that 4 new 19" tyres would cost from £800 - well over a grand for good tyres is making me happy I went with the Accenta Premium. :)Half the price for tyres, less tyre noise and more comfortable. Yes I know they don't look as good, let me have this one. :)
Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

I had a similar issue with tyres (Bridgestone RE05A 245 40 18) on my old car , when I first had to get them changed they were circa £200 each, but over the 4 years of ownership, I could get the same tyre fitted for about £140.Hopefully the price will reduce and availability will increase over the next 12 months or so.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

[quote="rm0rgan"]I'd never let Kwik Twats touch my car.
[/QUOTE]
Same here, I once left my car with them to fit 2 front tyres, when I drove away I noticed the near side wing mirror glass was broken and a scuff on the plastic surround. I went straight back to complain, but they said someone must have hit me since I left their premises. I only drove 100 yards from them, but they would not admit liability. They have had nothing from me since.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

[quote="langy"]I had a similar issue with tyres (Bridgestone RE05A 245 40 18) on my old car , when I first had to get them changed they were circa £200 each, but over the 4 years of ownership, I could get the same tyre fitted for about £140.Hopefully the price will reduce and availability will increase over the next 12 months or so.[/QUOTE]
Already down to £180 on Camskill for Continental.I usually wait for Costco to have an offer and get Michelin fitted