Rear brake discs

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Noticed on the way to work this morning a squeal from somewhere, although I believe it was from the car in front of me rather than mine, but it got me checking the brakes after I had parked up anyway. I noticed the rear drivers side brake disc appears to be scored multiple times along the outer edge of the disc. Checking the passenger side and its not scored. Anybody else care to check their discs to see if this is issue? Or anybody else had this issue and gone back to the dealer? I dare say my car is going to have to go back in for this to be checked over, and hope that I can persuade them that this is a defect rather than a "chargeable item because its considered a consumable item"!

biggster

Post by biggster »

Can you please post a picture so we can see it? I would also suggest trying some hard braking from a high speed (ensure it is safe to do so!) to heat up the discs/pads and therefore clean them. This might get rid of the problem.
Pearl Black 1.5dci Tekna - Chrome Mirrors, Chrome Door Strips, Chrome Front lip finisher, Chrome Lower Boot Strip, Mats...
Deleted User 759

I would do hard braking if it was rust/missing contact, but the fact they appear scored, hard braking probably wont do much other than just continue with the scoring! Will see if I can grab a picture on lunch.
tomo2001

Post by tomo2001 »

You may have had a stone or similar caught in the caliper / pads. This would explain the squealing. Dealer won't want to know if that is the case.
Nissan Qashqai 1.6 dci Tekna
Rundmc

Post by Rundmc »

I have just had my rear discs and pads changed after two years because the driver rear disc was scorched or pitted. Not happy about it but dealer said not warranty part even though I think they should last longer.

Since replacement last week I have noticed a strange noise on drivers side that doesn't happen all time but not sure if it's from the brakes or not or I had my suspension items changed because of the steering issue. I would have expected if pads were sticking it would be more of a grinding noise and car performance might be affected so maybe something else.
Qashqai 1.5 dci Acenta Premium Ink Blue since 13/05/14
duncho

Post by duncho »

Splank you can compare to mine. I took few photos when replacing winter tyres. Two years old with 35k km on the clock.

IMG_9508.JPG

IMG_9521.JPG

Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Deleted User 759

There is a definite score in the discs, but its been through 2x services and it has not been flagged up so leaving it. Noise no longer present and to be far, I had completely forgotten about it!
duncho

Post by duncho »

More than mine? What's your mileage?
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Deleted User 759

Around 23-24k miles

As for the pictures..... I don't really see much?

As I say, not looked at mine for a while in detail, but originally there was a not very deep, or wide, as I say its gone through 2 services and 2x wheels off at the rear for tyres swaps, so if it was bad/needing replacements there have been a fair few opportunities to tell me!