A question for the car detailers

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

As the subject line states, I have a question for the detailers amongst you. What is your recommended wheel cleaner for the 2014 Tekna wheels? I do not want to be stripping the black laquer.Thanks
2019 1.3 Tekna Dig-T 160 (Automatic)
2014 1.6 dCi Tekna CVT Bronze Metallic - delivered 9/7/14

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I bought some Autoglym wheel cleaner (essentially, acid in a bottle!) for the wife's Micra as brake dust had become rather stubborn to being removed! I have not tried it on the QQ wheels yet. As the wheels are lacquered rather than bare metal (IIRC the black part is paint + lacquer rather than coloured lacquer) it should not be an issue as it was designed for such task. I suppose if there is a nick in the lacquer however then that might be a different story. It does suggest you can dilute it up to 50% for "regular use" so I am guessing its quite strong neat and probably would remove any protection (such as wax) that you may use on it.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

A good question, thanks for starting it. I have a 4.5 litre pack of Wonder Wheels (acid) I used on my previous Yeti, Prius and Passat these are lacquered silver and it worked a treat with no problems. I have not tried it on the QQ as like you I have not dared to use as these are the first diamond cut ones I have had. I look forward to a reply
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

I may be odd, but I've always liked oven cleaner... the white foamy stuff in a can...
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

[quote="Spinal"]
I may be odd, but I've always liked oven cleaner... the white foamy stuff in a can...[/QUOTE]
Doesn't it have a strange taste and burns your mouth ? myself and the wife still prefer ice cream with our strawberries
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
korky

Post by korky »

I've always used AG clean wheels or AG wheel cleaner - used this when washing parents QQ and it was fine no effect on the black parts of wheel. Only issue I had was causing fine scratches on the painted part :(
FoxyG

Post by FoxyG »

Hi TeknaKen. I've done a rather silly amount of research recently on cleaning / detailing of the QQ in anticipation of the new car arriving (collecting tomorrow) Didn't want to pay £300 for dealership to 'Diamondbrite' so I'm doing it myself for a lot less.The two sites that I felt I got the best advice from and from whom I've now bought cleaning / detailing gear are:www.polishedbliss.co.ukhttp://www.clean ... co.uk/Hope this is helpful
FoxyG2014-07-23 21:18:16
July 2014 1.5 DCi Tekna, Pearl Black. Chrome pack,bonnet protector and black Alloy Gators.
marcflores

Post by marcflores »

Despite there not being much activity in this thread, I thought I'd (still) start here instead of opening up a new discussion.I'm looking at advice for cleaning the Tekna alloys. I got AlloyGators fitted at the weekend and the fitters warned me against using cleaners containing acid as these would discolour them. With that in mind, has anyone got suggestions for what I could use?@JonceebeeDid you make any progress with the Wonder Wheels cleaner that you mentioned? If so, did you find that it discoloured your AlloyGators?
marcflores2015-04-07 16:16:14
2015 QQ Tekna 1.2 DIG-T / Blade Silver / Ice Chrome Premium Pack / Ice Chrome Style Pack / Panoramic Roof / Silver AlloyGators / Heko Wind Deflectors
jstallan

Post by jstallan »

I used to use Wonder Wheels on my previous car - quite abrasive, even when diluted down. I've now purchased some Bilberry http://www.amazon.co.uk/Valet-PRO-Bilbe ... B003XDPSTE but yet to use it.
2014 (64) QashQai 1.5 dci Tekna in Blade Silver
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Dodo juice mellow yellow, kind to your wheels and like everything they make,smells great too
2017 N-Connecta/comfort pack 1.2 Xtronic Chestnut Bronze