Cold Weater Tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

No respectable car forum would be complete without a heated debate on whether cold-weather are useful or not, and whether we should use them in the UK.To get things started, there is a crucial difference between Summer, All Season Cold-Weather, & Snow Tyres. "summer" tyres are generally fitted to sports cars, and tend to have a single-compound surface"all season" (eke RainExperts) are similar, but the manufacturer tries to bridge the gap between the various types. In my mind, these take the best, and worst of both worlds, ending up with a compromise that I would feel safer without. Some even have M&S (mud and snow) ratingsCold-weather tyres (aka winter tyres) start being effective under 14C, and usually have dual-compounds to allow safer cold weather driving while not increasing wear too muchSnow tyres (aka M&S tyres) are specifically designed for countries where there is a lot of snow. In some of these, M&S tyres are legal requirements (e.g. Germany, parts of Italy, France, etc)Personally, I'm a fan of cold weather tyres in the UK. I tend to drive early in the morning and late in the evening; when the weather tends to be quite cold. As such, I tend to drive on cold weather tyres all year round.That said, my qq is coming with tyres paid for; and upon enquiring, they fit summer tyres - and wont fit winters. If I want winters, I have to pay for them myself, which kind-of defeats the purpose of getting a car with tyres paid for.So the plan is, once the tyres wear out, I'll try to convince the fitting station n to fit cold weather tyres... though I doubt it'll work as the leasing company will probably have ordered the cheapest they can get.M.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Spinal, I have nothing against your "New" Topic but if you look under "Wheels & Tyres" there are many comments on tyres eg, "2014 Qashqai - Winter Tyres". If you use the "Search " button you could find more.
Incidentally we are users of Summer + Winter Tyres out here as it is law or M&S for All Year. Costs money, need storage but it is safer - Thanks Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken