Diesel or Petrol 1.6?

Frequently Asked Questions
switchback

Post by switchback »

Worth a look then when it comes to replacing the Qashqai then..................................................I did price one up on the Seat configurater to Tekna spec and it came out the same price.

I think it's the only car of its type that matches the Qashqai with regards to styling. Looks different to the Nissan but just as good looking in my opinion.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I certainly wasnt rubbishing the car, I was just poinying out a couple of differences. Overall it looks a good vehicle. It does have options to include more technology, but to be fair you cant really say its better or more reliable as its not yet been put to the test by tens of thousands of owners. Ride quality is reported as firmer or sportier which is a tradeoff against a more refined/comfortable ride, and as a family car I know which I prefer. The QQ is almost 3 years old now in its current form, and technology is changing at pace, so lets see how they compare when the revised QQ is released, supposedly next year. There are some nice touches on the Seat that would prove welcome additions to the QQ, and if included they would cement tge QQs position as the market leader in the small crossover market.
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

400andrising, out of curiosity, what engine are you comparing the 1.4 TFSI to in the QQ, the 1.6 or 1.5 DCI or the 1.6 petrol as examples? Agree with previous comments in that the QQ look,etc takes some beating but the Seat does look like a nice car!
400andrising

Post by 400andrising »

TheSavage wrote:400andrising, out of curiosity, what engine are you comparing the 1.4 TFSI to in the QQ, the 1.6 or 1.5 DCI or the 1.6 petrol as examples? Agree with previous comments in that the QQ look,etc takes some beating but the Seat does look like a nice car!
1.5 DCI QQ in comparison.
I personally really didn't think the QQ takes much beating it depends on your criteria - if you're on a budget I think all of a sudden the Seat looks a serious contender.

Ride is a *tiny* amount firmer with the benefit of very little roll and bounce compared to the QQ - when I said it felt like a car I meant it and I see Auto Express said very similar.
Ultimately new QQ has that torsion beam setup instead of the old independent rear link which is probably why it's less compliant and slower to react in corners. I felt it pitched and rolled a little on the test. The Seat feels like a much smaller car - which is nice when you're on a narrow road as it means you're not constantly second guessing yourself about dimensions and gaps!

In regards to engines etc remember this block has already been tried and tested in the Leon and Golf in various states of tune so it's nothing new; I did a very quick google earlier and didn't find anything too frightening yet but if you guys unearth anything please have at it and post as I'm probably going to order one tomorrow; the write ups I've seen today having researched more Nissan dealers just scared me further away from the QQ. I can't believe some of the stories of the "fights between dealers and Nissan HQ". The odd occasional one you'd dismiss but wow so many!

Out of sheer curiosity, what have your experiences been like?
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

400andrising, I would try the 1.6 petrol or 1.6 DCI in the QQ first before making your decision although I appreciate you are factoring in other things, as previously mentioned, I've found the 1.6 DCI much better than the 1.5 DCI, only down side being the MPG is a little less but you expect that in a more powerful car, and mines an auto too. I must admit, some of the stories about problems people have with the QQ and customer service are alarming but you wonder how this compares with other car manufacturers. When I took an Audi RSQ3 for a test drive a few months ago, the people working at the garage were useless, so then you wonder about after care, etc..
400andrising

Post by 400andrising »

Wouldn't buy an Audi mate, they're not bad but horrifically overpriced for what they are and most are horribly nose heavy with bone shaking suspension.
I desperately wanted to like the RS5 when I was looking for a replacement for my old Subaru and more recently the M3 - it's such a pretty car inside and out - but driven back to back with an M3 the RS5 felt big, heavy, slow and hard if almost bouncy, yet the premium they seem to command is ludicrous.
Looked at an RS3 with thoughts of tuning it but the ride was similar and too fidgety which is a shame because it has a great engine, but again - auto only which removes a bit of the enjoyment for me.

Some people are definitely too hung up on badges; I suspect you can tell from the fact I'm selling an M3 for a Focus that I'm not in that camp LOL
TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

400andrising, I agree, the Audi's are overpriced, £45K to £50K for a new RSQ3, £35K upwards for a year old one. I must admit, the test drive was immense, it has the same engine as the RS3 too but I'm just not sure they are worth the money and I'm holding out for the RSQ5 to see what this is like. I also don't drive a lot, unfortunately, so paying that money for trips to school and Tesco through the week don't justify a purchase!

Thought about it and happy sticking with the QQ for now, will also be interesting to see what changes they make next year. Would still suggest you try the bigger engines in the QQ but otherwise, hope your wife enjoys the Seat!
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

400andrising wrote:
Ultimately new QQ has that torsion beam setup instead of the old independent rear link which is probably why it's less compliant and slower to react in corners. I felt it pitched and rolled a little on the test.
Unless you go for the 1.6 AWD that has full independent rear suspension.
400andrising

Post by 400andrising »

Daewar wrote:
400andrising wrote:
Ultimately new QQ has that torsion beam setup instead of the old independent rear link which is probably why it's less compliant and slower to react in corners. I felt it pitched and rolled a little on the test.
Unless you go for the 1.6 AWD that has full independent rear suspension.
Fair enough but if I wanted AWD to be used in that fashion I'd just go Subaru or Land Rover most likely.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Nissan opted to use the torsion beam as the rear axle configuration for two reasons, to save costs, and to stiffen the back end of the car to reduce pitch and roll. It gives a firm ride over potholes and speed bumps, but does lessen roll on cornering. Rear multi link set ups offer a softer ride over such obstacles but also lend themselves to roll slightly more on cornering. More high end vehicles can reduce this by offering hydraulic set ups that can be changed at will by the driver. These systems offer the best of both worlds but do put the purchase price up quite a bit. The reason Nissan use the multi link setup on the AWD variant is because the torsion beam setup would get in the way of the driveshaft and diff. If they could use the torsion beam setup then im sure they would.