What Engine, am I making the right choice?

Frequently Asked Questions
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

At the end of the day, everybody will have their own opinion as to 'which engine is best'. There is generally no right, or wrong answer but some engines are better suited for different tasks/driving attitude/type of drives....

There are 4 engines on offer....

1.2 DIG-T
1.6DIG-T
1.5DCI
1.6DCI

And then there are the drive train options (manual and CVT), so in total I believe there are 8 options.

They all offer a different driving experience and your engine choice will vary not just based on speed but also what you want to do with he car. Towing and long trips often, you would be best with a DCI. Where as if you mostly commute and do a short trip, then a petrol maybe more suited.

Then there is cost. I have not looked at the cost differences, but I assume the order above is roughly in the right order (cheapest first, more expensive at the bottom...) so again performance isn't always the main deciding factor when it comes to engine choice. Some people might not even get the option (IE a car supplied through work).

Each engine and drive train options has its own characteristic and should be driven according to this characteristic. I am willing to bet there will be differences between the same engine depending upon the year it was built!

TheSavage

Post by TheSavage »

Well made points Splank!

Regarding the year the cars were made, I do know that the new QQ, so 2014 onwards have different engines to pre that time in that the 1.6 DCI for example, now has replaced the older 2 litre engine. It's fantastic that car manufacturers can get more performance and better fuel economy from smaller engines, cars really do get better and safer as time goes on!
400andrising

Post by 400andrising »

hazzysa wrote:Truthfully the 1.5 DCI is one of the best engines that they do. Petrol engines are good but economy wise they are poor when pulling or carrying loads. The diesel engine is where the company have invested the most in, Door to door the MPG should be ok, it doesnt take long for the newer engines to come upto temp.

My opinion is get the 1.5 DCi, the extra it costs for the 1.6 is unnecessary
I wouldn't agree with that, personally I felt the car felt underpowered and sluggish with the 1.5DCI.
If I were going diesel I'd only consider the 1.6, the extra 20hp and 44ft/lbs should let you actually be able to overtake something than become stuck behind it!
switchback

Post by switchback »

SplanK wrote:
And then there are the drive train options (manual and CVT), so in total I believe there are 8 options.
Plus AWD.........................
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

switchback wrote:
SplanK wrote:
Plus AWD.........................
ooooh, I thought they were only released with the early special editions.....
m500dpp

Post by m500dpp »

Well our new QQ is sitting on the drive, I went for the 1.5Dci and will post my thoughts once I've actually driven it! I based my choice on various reviews which all thought the 1.5 was the best overall, time will tell.
DankoGranko

Post by DankoGranko »

In the end, it is not a war between what engine is best, but more like what engine suits your needs and driving style.

That being said, my engine of choice was the 1.6 DIG-T, and one of the biggest reasons why picking this car.
I live in the country side, and although I work in the city, the public transport is good, so driving in the big city is just a casual event. Most of my drives involve motorways (40%), national roads (40%), city/small roads (20%).
Not being a fan of Diesel engines, this 1.6 DIG-T has been ticking all boxes for me, and given the performance of the engine, not many could tell the difference from a DCI ... unless they have their ears covered and not looking at the rev range :) .
However, on a motorway/national road environment, this engine is close to the Diesel in terms of fuel consumption but the similarities stop here. The DIG-T is much more quieter and pleasant to drive, combine that with a big rev rage and a manual gearbox you can get a pretty flexible and agile car - especially since it weights only 1400 kgs , and after 110km/h you can also feel those extra Bhp's.

In my opinion the 1.6 DIG-T is the most refined engine from the range but not recommended for daily use or heavy city traffic. Another drawback is the lack of 4WD for those who want/need it :(
QQ J11 1.6 DIG-T Tekna - Magnifico Rosso
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

So u can get 60+ mpg out of your petrol 1.6. I'm thinking not, so you really can't say your petrol unit is like a diesel. Your more likely to be getting 40 - 50 on a good day.
m500dpp

Post by m500dpp »

the 1.6 Dig T unit is im certain quiet and refined but so is the 1.5 Dci we have just bought! Each to their own Im happy wih ours!
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

and the 1.5dci I find has ample overtaking power as long as you've built up the revs/ selected right gear.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D