FAQ: 1.2 DIG-T (HRA2DDT) Engine Oil Spec

Frequently Asked Questions
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

This Forum is beginning to become more and more interesting on a day to day basis as there is so much information / comments now floating around with different Topics that it just keeps the Brain active. I have no problems with your comments on the 5W-30 C3 mentioned (Nissan here is 5W-30 ACEA A3/B4*1) but if you look at the following Castrol Facts this "throws another spanner in the works" and it gets more confusing :http://magnatec.castrol.com/en/oil-rang ... -a1.htmlIf you click on "OIL SELECTOR" on the Right of the above, this pops up when you enter the data for the QQ J11 :http://oilselector.castrol.com/c/uk/eng ... 282014What was also mentioned on the 5W-40 was :Developed for all recent petrol and diesel enginesParticularly suitable for Turbo-Compressed Multivalve and Direct Injection Diesel EnginesMeets the most difficult conditions of use during all seasons, even severe cold conditionsEasier starting in very cold conditionsSuited to engines with Catalytic ConvertersResistance to oxidationHigh Fluidity at low temps, cold starts, resistent oil film at high tempsPreserved engine cleanliness thanks to detergent additives and advanced dispersivesWow my Brain is Hurting, but an interesting discussion - Over & Out Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Interesting reading Dave, the 0-40W Edge oil is what Skoda put in our Octavia which is on variable service which usually comes around every 20-22k miles, it is the top of the range oil, very expensive by comparison and I believe is the oil for all long life oil changes.The Magnatec C3 which I use, according to Nissan is fine for petrol engines based on the 12.5k oil changes, I do not think Nissan offer an option for variable servicing as VAG group cars have, and although the Edge would be ok, I think a little over the top specification and price wise for 12.5k oil changes we will be having.I will confirm when the connecting rod comes through the crankcase
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Opie Oils responded with the following email:
Hi Stephen

Sorry for the delay, it looks like your email was missed for some reason.

I very much doubt that the Magnatec A1 you used will cause
an issue, my only concern is that as the handbook mentions the ACEA C2 and C3
spec, it could be that your car has a sensitive emissions system. It's rare
that a petrol engine requires an ACEA C spec oil (they are mainly for modern
diesels), but there are a few petrol engines that have sensitive catalytic
converters and need a C spec oil.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-792-acea-c3.aspx

Any of the 5w-30 oils via that link should be absolutely
fine. Unfortunately, the 1.2 Qashqai is not on our databases yet, so I can't
check on definite requirements of the engine, so can't be 100% sure, but I'm
almost 100% sure those oils would be suitable.

Regards

Tim
Interesting response. So looks like Magnatec A1 is "incorrect" although wont do any harm short term (only a couple of months before first service) and low amount (top up), and the better oil would have been Magnatec C3 (also a Halfords recommendation). Not a definitive answer BUT given I sent them the spec required from the handbook and they came back with that link...
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Thanks for that SplanK, shoot down to Makro as I mentioned earlier they are selling the Magnatrc C3 grade at £16 plus VAT for 4 litres, a real bargain price
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

OMG how difficult can it get these days. I remember back in 1964 the only choice I had to make for my old MGB was Castrol or Duckhams! Seriously though, as Dave mentioned, my previous post on oil was for the 1.5 dCi and I did have to do a lot of searching to find the correct oil on-line which was by Elf.Going forward I am hoping that the dealer will leave a 1 ltr top up in the car after servicing as they have done with our previous Nissans ( but I guess I will have to check it to make sure they left the correct oil).Thank you to all our regular tech contributors for all your info. As already said, this is growing into a superb forum thanks to all the excellent contributions.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

haha, yeah I recall with all my older Nissan's I just went straight for 10w40 Semi-synth using the Halfords green bottle stuff. Never bothered checking the spec and it was used in Micra's (1.0), Primera's (1.6 and 2.0), Almera's (1.4 and 1.5) and a 200sx (2.0 turbo). Done many many miles on the stuff and never had an issue and nearly all went over the 100k mark. I think the 200sx was on 120k miles when I sold it and still on its original turbo!! I have never had a dealer leave a 1L bottle in the car. Maybe its dependant upon dealer but what may just solve this is next service I just buy one of their top up bottles. A bit of a cheat but in theory it should be correct. Saying that, I recall seeing a thread that suggested Nissan dealer tried to sell them the wrong stuff! Although odd that Opie Oils mentioned that the 1.2 QQ was yet to be on their database, but if you search their website, it lists various oils for it!
2014inkblue

Post by 2014inkblue »

Ta, as always a font of knowledge! 5w40 can be used, although I think 5w30 is preferred due to its ability to support a wider range of temperatures, esp colder temps.
Actually it is opposite, 5W40 has wider range. It tolerates higher temps better.
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

You guys seem to be on the ball here with your knowledge of oil specs. All I can add is the "C4" spec is for synthetic low ash oil. This is used in Diesel engines with. DPF eg 1.6 dci (9RM I think)
QQ1234

Post by QQ1234 »

Not quite on topic but.....what oil do I use in my new 1.6 dig-t ?
My handbook says 0w20 , my dealer says 5w30. And I can't find my car in any of the oil manufacturers websites.

In fact my handbook also says if 0w20 is not available, select the viscosity from the chart that is suitable for the outside temperature range.
Looking at the chart, providing it doesn't go below minus 10 in London I where I live I can even use up to 20w50 !
QQ 2015 1.6 Dig-T Gun Metal
Mods so far: LED interior lights, Side steps, Spare wheel, PIAA twin horns, Boot entry protector, Vinyl sill protection.
garyshingler

Post by garyshingler »

By way of an update. My Qashqai is 6 weeks old - 1.2 DIG-T HRA2DDT. The owner's manual shows the recommended spec as 5W40 - ACEA A3/B4. There is no mention of C2 or C3. Where it talks about viscosity it also says 5W 40 is preferable. Cheers.