FAQ: QQ Battery Information

Frequently Asked Questions
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Splank, found some more facts on "Jump Starting" with these QQ Batteries, hope this helps - Dave

Normal

false
false
false

DE
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

General Jump Starting Procedure :

Warning:

Do not jump start modern
vehicles with electronic management systems without "protected" jump starter
leads. You must also refer to the
owner's handbook for vehicle-specific procedures.INITIAL CHECKLIST :Check batteries are the same
voltage.Turn off the engines and all
electrical loads.Make sure vehicles aren't
touching.Ensure vehicles are in park or
neutral (with handbrake on).Make sure vehicles have the
same terminal earthed. If not, check manufacturers instructions.Ensure cables aren't frayed or
damaged.

DO THE FOLLOWING STEPS IN SEQUENCE :

1. On a negative grounded
system, connect each end of one cable to the positive (+) terminal on both
batteries.2.Connect an end of the other
cable to the negative (-) terminal of the booster battery.3.Connect the other end of the
same cable away from the battery, to the engine block or frame of the vehicle to be started.4. Make sure both cables are
clear of fan blades and other moving parts.5.Start the engine of the
booster car.6.Attempt to start the engine
of the vehicle with the flat battery.7.If vehicle does not start
within 30 seconds, call an auto electrician.8. After starting, remove
cables in reverse order, starting with the cable connected to engine block or
frame.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

So our QQ batteries are no diffrent in jump starting advice than any car built since the mid 80s (when Electonic ignitions come out?)Im a little disapointed to be honest thought the QQ was state of art I never looked into it simply as its a new car so dont care but I did assume an expensive replacement as it does a lot of workIt carries a high cold crank ampage but other than that for want of a better word a cardboard lead replacement battery from the times when people drove XR3s and Yuppies were aroundRealy disapointed
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Donkey, did you read the above data before you made your comments on "Cardboard Technology" as there appears to be a vast difference from your comments compared to the supplied data - Dave

Normal

false
false
false

DE
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

EFB Construction : Enhanced Flooded Batteries are
made with stronger, more durable materialls than traditional batteries for
longer life and reliability. Components are packed tightly into the case,
creating a custom fit, which gives the battery vibration resistance. EFB technology contains a
veil-like material called a scrim. The scrim is made of
a porous plastic material that helps support the positive paste on the grid
when the battery is charged and discharged. Without a scrim and
separator, the paste can weaken, fall off, and drop beneath the grids into the
acid. Having this scrim surrounding the separator reinforces the active
materials and offers longer life under severe discharging conditions. EFB technology is designed to
avoid early battery failure from acid stratification by using the acceleration
and deceleration of the vehicle to actively mix the acid solution. This unique
mixing system gives the battery a higher level of reliability.

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Normale Tabelle";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Sorry mate i used term cardboard batterys looselyI was an aprentice late 70s and we supplemented our wages scrapping the old car batterys at the time we got £2 each for them, then these new batterys came along and the lead was gone It looked like wet cardboard in the plates and hence the name stuck for meBut as ive said I honestly expected state of art keep reading how the QQ was innovative etc and assumed it would have had a real good battery in these cars, and what im reading to be fair have been around at least 2 if not 3 decadesNow ill stick my head up and ask the renewed energy from braking Im wondering if the QQ actualy has this as the battery I thought wouldnt support this method of energy transfer (that said its a con its a tiny amount generated almost insignificant)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Now the winter is here and in theory hopefully we do not need New Batteries yet, but just to give you an Update on what is available (here) and the costs the GT£ (Society for Technical Supervision) have carried out a Tech. Test on 10 Batteries with between 70-75 Ah (QQ is 70Ah). Of these 6 (all 70Ah) all were for Stop-Start 3x EFB / 3x AGM and all of these received the comment "Very Recommended"
The EFB Types were from Moll a‚¬183 / Bosch a‚¬200 / Banner a‚¬130 and the AGM from Varta a‚¬352 / Intact a‚¬168 / Exide a‚¬213. Hopefully this will give you a brief overview of what is available and the costs (should be available EU wide) - Dave ?Y??
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

Take all the stuff written by Fiam with a pinch of salt or salemans puff.No technological advances in Lead acid batteries since the late 70sYour alternator is computer controlled ...ie when accelerating the rotor current is cut and when braking is increased .You can charge it with a standard battery charger but dont let it go over 14.4v.If you give it a charge every 3 months you will increase its life.Once out of warrantee remove stoppers and make sure its topped up.falling electrolyte is a sign of end of life.Expect 5 years.Turn off the stop start ...or get ready to buy a new starter/ring gear if you live in londonFuel J10 52.8 over 30k J11 52.5 over 800miles best trip 62.8 ( 65miles rugby-cambridge)

pistnbroke2014-12-19 11:54:36
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

[quote="Kev1nDonn"]I would like to combine the Stop/Start and Winter Tyre threads.It is snowing: I STOP (driving)The snow clears up: I START (driving)Winter Tyres: I don't bother.SIMPLES! :-)[/QUOTE]Brilliant, will do this when I retire
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
dani87

Post by dani87 »

[quote="Donkey"] Sorry mate i used term cardboard batterys loosely
I was an aprentice late 70s and we supplemented our wages scrapping the old car batterys at the time we got £2 each for them, then these new batterys came along and the lead was gone
It looked like wet cardboard in the plates and hence the name stuck for me
But as ive said I honestly expected state of art keep reading how the QQ was innovative etc and assumed it would have had a real good battery in these cars, and what im reading to be fair have been around at least 2 if not 3 decades
Now ill stick my head up and ask the renewed energy from braking Im wondering if the QQ actualy has this as the battery I thought wouldnt support this method of energy transfer (that said its a con its a tiny amount generated almost insignificant)

[/QUOTE]

Were you expecting a mini nuclear reactor with a positive and negative fuel cell? Battery tech has advanced significantly ofer the last few years. I am yet to replace a battery due to it just failing.

Regenerative braking = more alternator load while breaking. Better engine braking performance. ie. Driving at speed, battery is only 80% or less charged alternator load increases to nearly 15v as brakes are pressed. Its like changing down and braking at same time.

Hope this clarifies a few things guys.
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

the load on a battery cannot be expressed in volts so please dont talk silly about 15v ..the battery will not go ove 14.4v or it will gas...the charging is controlled by the ECU regulating the rotor current.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Getting charge into the battery via regenerative breaking....
As I understand it this takes place under deceleration or engine braking and does not happen under forced braking ie using the brakes. Am I understanding this correctly?