FAQ: Blind spot / Parking Sensor False Positives

Frequently Asked Questions
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

The car comes with a wide range of sensors and camera's.Unfortunately these sensors can produce false positives on occasions. Parking Sensors:It has been reported that when setting off or crawling that the parking sensors can activate without anything in the area. This can happen if there is a bit of dirt, wax, or other object (such as a spiders web) on or in front of the sensor. Clean the sensor and see if the problem continues. It can also happen after washing the car. Its advised that you should generally avoid using a pressure washer over the sensors as they cause temporary false positives. These often sort themselves out after a short while. It is possible to disable a set of sensors (rather than the entire lot) through the drivers settings on the dash. Update Jan 2015: It appears that there are some early models which have a fault with the front sensors which allow water ingress into the sensor, especially after washing the car, or in some cases rain seeping in. Nissan claim that there is a software update in early 2015 which may resolve the false positive problem, however a user (Duncho) reports that cars with VIN beginning SJNFDAJ11U0123444 might be affected with front park sensor false activation and require replacement. Update May 2015: It is known that there are a number of fixes, multiple of which maybe required to fix the problem1. Software patch2. Sensor rotated in housing or replacing if damaged is to extensive3. Drilling a hole directly under the sensor to allow it to drain/dry. Blind Spot Warning:Sensors attempt to pick up an object and warn you that something maybe present in your blind spot. This system gives an indication by illuminating an orange light on the door where the wing mirror attaches. If you are indicating as well, the system will alert you with warning beeps. It has been reported that these sensors can be activated by rain, or even passing objects closely. There is currently no "fix" for this problem, and probably will never be as the sensors are working as expected, just detecting something other than a passing car and reporting a, in the drivers eyes, a false positive.

SplanK2015-05-09 16:52:53

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Live & Learn !. Each day there is something more you learn on the QQ. Yesterday I was at our Dealer's and gave the QQ a wash and I had no problems after this. But today after a cold night we had this morning -1A°C, on setting off there were no problems, I then stopped and parked behind a small trailer and I got the message on the small info panel "Warnung / Fehlfunction" meaning "Warning / Faulty Function", also the small front camera indicator above, collision warning on the Speedo Area and the Warning Triangle on the Rev Counter were all showing Amber. I then turned off the motor got and thought it would clear itself - no chance. I then drove a couple of miles stopped looked at the cameras and there was a very slight frosty film covering them so I rubbed my grubby fingers over them - Fault was cured !
I have seen the problem mentioned with water but not ice as now we are in that season. Is this what we can expect during the winter period, has anybody else seen this happen often especially the Members living in the Snowy & Cold Countries ? Thanks Dave

This shows the Warning Areas :

This is after the correction :
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

I mentioned the frost problem on one of my earlier posts, my former Prius used to do it continually on the front sensors when frosty. I learned to keep spraying De-Icer on them to melt the frost and then spray WD40 which kept the frost away and then no further problems.This is not purely a QQ problem it affects a lot of models, but I foresee a lot of "off to the dealers" comments coming if we have a bad winter as predicted
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Eziv2730

Post by Eziv2730 »

Is WD40 generally safe to be used on car paints regularly?
White J11 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 CVT
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Jon, thanks for your reply another WD40 man at heart and the can is already in the QQ so I will give it a try. I just wondered how much of a problem it would be when we really get some frosts and the white stuff ? - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Hermes999

Post by Hermes999 »

Can someone tell me where those pesky front parking sensors actually are?The only times I see my car at this time of year it's dark, and need a bit of help. The wretched front sensor is always beeping when I set off. It's driving me MAD!!!!
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Front 2 are in the bumper either side of the number plate.http://cdn2.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/aut ... 00EBmHones below the "blank" for the towing hook (on the right in this picture).Other is equal distance away on the left.Edit: its also a known fault on some cars. Nissan have a software re-map available for them 9which didn't work on mine). They are due to be replaced.
AlleyCat2014-12-11 16:45:01
Nissan no more...
Hermes999

Post by Hermes999 »

Alleycat - thanks muchly!A really useful and helpful reply. Will check em out tonight.
tomo2001

Post by tomo2001 »

Had a new shape Ford Focus before the QQ and it too had front and rear sensors (for the park assist).I will add that in 3 yrs of ownership I did not have one false positive in all weathers - sun, rain, hail, snow or frost.The QQ sensors are either not configured correctly or are substandard Chinese S hite IMO
Nissan Qashqai 1.6 dci Tekna
Eziv2730

Post by Eziv2730 »

I had problems with the front sensors on my Qashqai too. I went to the dealer yesterday and they said there was an update which they carried out. It is dry now so cannot tell if that update actually helped. Usually I got those false warnings when it was below 0 and wet outside.
White J11 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 CVT