Long trip in 1.2 DIG-T

Reviews / Comments about the 2014 QashQai
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

This weekend, I completed a 300 mile round trip in my 1.2DIG-T QQ. It was always suspected that the 1.2DIG-T didn't have enough umph and may be underpowered for decent long trips.I set off Friday with all my camping gear. The QQ has a lot of room in the boot when the false floor sections are removed, I was able to get everything in it with no spill over into the back seats unlike the old Almera. I had several sleeping bags, a large 6 man tent, a spare 2man tent, gazebo, large camping chair, air bed, various small electrical items, camping stove, pair of steel toe capped boots and spare set of trainers and a bag full of a weekends worth of cloths.... So overall with the space. I was impressed. I was considering taking the wife and our 1 year old, but this would have certainty resulted in overspill into the cabin (mostly because of travel cot is HUGE!), but not by much. I was traveling down to Stratford with a few friends, usual trip consists of travel down the M6 from Leyland, hop onto the M42, then M40 before pealing off at the Stratford junction and work our way through town to Long Marston air field. We set off and almost immediate hit traffic. It was stop start for most of the way until we hit the M6 toll where average speed picked up, we were driving between 70-75 indicated once we got onto the toll (£5.50!! they know how to bend you over!!). I was also not leading the convoy but in the middle, I find that this can often hurt mpg more as you are always adjusting your speed to keep up or for overtaking. From my last play with my QQ on the motorway I wasn't expecting brilliant figures, the average MPG during the first run was just a shy over 40. Not too bad considering for at least ~40 miles it was stop start and driving below 20mph, but was expecting a little more considering I can get slightly higher than that urban!! The return trip was a little better, I was convoy leader and I decided to use cruise control and the speed limiter function. The speed limiter function was perfect on the managed motorway sections on the M42 and M6, allowing me to slow down with traffic but removing the worry of going over the speed limit and getting snapped by an average speed camera check or gantry camera. Cruise control was fantastic, started to use this once we got onto the M6 and just set it to 70 and let everybody else play keep up. I have never used CC before but what a fantastic option to have, although I soon learnt that other road users had the "slow down and speed up" I used to have and it seemed nobody could stick to one speed, this made the function a touch annoying. Then you have others who decide to match your speed when you are overtaking! At least I could notch the speed up to pass them before retuning back to indicated 70. The return trip mpg was a little better, returning 47mpg-ish. I suspect this would have been better if: 1. I was not in a convoy as we had to make a couple of stops2. If I took control of the throttle rather than CC doing it for me, that way I could speed up down hills, then ease off the throttle going up hill.3. Optional drafting behind lorry for a bit Still, not to bad with an overall average of 43mpg, but was not far from what the Almera was returning on the motorway. The car drove really well, had more than enough poke to handle all situations including a very boggy camp site!! It was a very nice place to be, didn't feel like a chore and all the sensors worked spot on!
SplanK2014-05-26 11:28:32

iMike

Post by iMike »

Thanks for taking the time for an informative write up
1.2DiGT Tekna Storm white, Premium chrome pack
korky

Post by korky »

Nice one SplanK - I've not played with the limiter on this QQ but did on sisters 2010 model and it's an interesting feature...weird sensation how you accelerate but nothing when you get to the limit set