Caveat emptor

Reviews / Comments about the 2014 QashQai
Oscarmouse

Post by Oscarmouse »

Got my qq1.5 tekna on 15.03 14 and what have I learned in 450 miles. It's very pretty specially in ink blue with very smooth steering and a lovely solid thunk when you slam the boot lid. It easily tops 55mpg across town (according to its own figures) and the split boot is useful. You are unlikely to see another one soon and the new interior is beautiful. Connect works well and headlights are great.

However problems with noise in two specific areas should give potential buyers second thoughts. Firstly noise which is there which not should be. This is probably the most irritating car for wind noise and tyre noise I have ever owned. My old Ntec + had levels of refinement in this area the new model can only dream of . My new one is booked into the dealer next week to try to realine the drivers doors and reduce impression that the window is open at speeds above 50. (Incidently the entire passenger door seal peeled off the first time I opened it in the showroom with the flowers still on the windscreen)
Secondly noise which is isn't there but should be (at this price anyway) the audio. I cannot comprehend that there must be someone within Nissan who signed off on this as sounding satisfactory. My wife's 2012 Note radio sounds like a Linn system compared to the Sunday market rubbish in the new Qashqai. It is simply not acceptable in a car that aspires to be the best and had I had the sense to listen to it on the road test I would not have swapped out of my old +2.

Other usual Nissan problems were also found ie sill trim on both sides in the rear was loose and needed to be knocked into place properly as did the trim that runs across the boot and includes the lock striker plate cutout. Boot carpet not fitted correctly on one side and a bonnet that looks like it might be open when viewed from the passenger side but looks really neat on the drivers side.

My favorite bit with all of my new nissans is how many loose bolts there are in the spare wheel well, I found 2 more today shiny silver ones with star washers. Try looking under your inflation kit and see what you have. I tried it on a showroom model with a sales-manager and found no screws but half a wooden clothes peg stuck in the seam sealant!

So do I dislike it? Not really, it's not as good as it should be but It's nice to drive once you understand it's power delivery and a few hundred should sort out the audio once the wind noise is sorted.

Did I mention it's very pretty in ink blue.

jukester46

Post by jukester46 »

Very strange comments about the sound quality. I have been down to the dealers today as I am detailing my tekna. I loaded spotify after painless connection via bluetooth and wow the bass and mid sound is so much richer and clearer than my 2013 juke tekna. Im wondering if there is either, dodgy wiring to your speakers. ie wrong polarity or 2 different sound systems going in to the qashqai's. No need to even have the bass and treble adjusted on mine, infact I went looking for the sub in the boot and under the seats but not there.
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

My audio came with the bass and treble both set to max which was surprising as the lack of bass is clearly audible, I'm not talking about sub-woofer vibrate your windows bass levels just an actual low frequency bass line, it's just not there. The rear speakers on their own sound truly awful, the front door speakers and tweeters sound very midrange and top end heavy, with the treble turned to about -10% and the fader set about +20% to the rear it's almost mid market decent, the sort of sound you'd get in most cars without the supposedly upgraded 6 speaker system.
Goodbye Qashqai, Hello Ford Kuga, much quieter ride and a decent sound system :)
jukester46

Post by jukester46 »

It seems there maybe a problem then because I played some pretty bass biased tunes today not quietly as I had the valet bay to myself and well chuffed tbh.I think you should ask dealer to check it over. As I said the Connect head unit in my juke sounds good but this one in my QQ is much better.
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

It's certainly worth asking them but there are quite a few others just on this forum alone who have the same opinion of the quality.
Goodbye Qashqai, Hello Ford Kuga, much quieter ride and a decent sound system :)
jukester46

Post by jukester46 »

Well I wonder if theres already been updates/improvements. My qashqai came off the production line Thursday at 9am and at dealers friday. Paint was still wet lol
oswmobo

Post by oswmobo »

Maybe Nissan are reading this forum and using the members as an unofficial quality control team. or more likely the not so good QQs were Friday afternoon builds.
1.2 DIG-T Acenta Premium Ink Blue.
Oscarmouse

Post by Oscarmouse »

I wonder. The biggest problem for me is its lack of musicality. I dont want to turn it up and sing along , I want to turn it off and pretend its not there. I wouldnt dream of playing it with passengers in the car as at a quiet enough level to be backgground music it has no base, little midrange and a thin top end which makes it grate on me. Sound is very subjective though and I have very little high frequecy hearing so it could just be me.
phmilesc

Post by phmilesc »

Interesting about the bits in the spare wheel well. Quality control ?? I found yesterday on my 3 day old QQ a flanged nut in the drivers foot well. Puzzled where it has come from. I'm wondering if its surplus. But obviously concerned it's not and could be part of the pedals. Whilst looking for possible intended location of nut, I found a plastic retention clip on the driver's seat that was loose. Car has to go back to garage as I had requested Euro plates to be fitted. Didn't notice till I got home they were missing. Too busy checking the rest of the car was ok. I'll see what they say about the nut and sort out the clip at the same time. Other than that I'm very pleased with my (sorry dear) our new car. Caveat emptor indeed.
Gone but not forgotton- Nissan QQ Tekna 2016 Gun metal +FS Spare - Hood Protector.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Is the flanged nut a black plastic topped one? if so look at the black plastic side wall cover to the left of your accelerator pedal, mine was hanging loose and I tightened it. The other side of the footwell was loose too
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors