Magnetic Red - Update - Protection detail

Post pictures of your QashQai here!
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

So here it is with 84km on the clock after the drive home from Copenhagen :D

Last edited by ChrisDK on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2016 1.2 DIG-T Tekna Magnetic Red

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Chris, Looking Good ! :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

hope the neighbours are impressed :)
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

Thanks guys, it spends it's life in the garage when we aren't using it so the neighbours don't get to see it much :lol:

When my wife and I ordered the car we asked that it not be washed as they use a forecourt carwash and I didn't want the car full of washing scratches before it had even been driven.

Instead we were met with this scuff mark about 40cm long on the bonnet, which the salesman tried to remove with a rub, so leaving more small scratches :x :x

As I could see it wasn't deep I accepted the car anyway as I was going to machine polish it, so the laquer would be close to perfect.

The car had also received a chassis coating like a thick wax, unfortunately as it's a spray wax it gets everywhere and the whole car had a layer of it.

So first came the prewash

wash with microfiber glove

and some fallout remover

followed with a rinse

Some tar remover was used on the wheels as they had a thicker coating of wax

The car was dried and taken inside where it was taped up for the polishing step

Here I used a fine cleaner polish to just take out the light surface scratches and marks

Finally the paint and plastics were given a coating that lasts for over a year before I need to re-coat.

The great thing with this coating is that it actually gives some extra protection a not just a great shine. 3 coats can actually give upto half a micron extra thickness and that shell is harder than the paint underneath. So, hopefully, if it does get some smaller scratches they will only be in the coating :D

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I don't think all that has quite sunk in. Can you come and demonstrate on my car so I can gain a better understanding? ;)

Looking very smart!
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Lovely job, but don't believe the hype about scratch protection. Half a micron wont hide or prevent scratches that would be visible.
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

gvmdaddy wrote:Lovely job, but don't believe the hype about scratch protection. Half a micron wont hide or prevent scratches that would be visible.
My previous car had been repainted along one side before I bought it, the lacquer was unbelievably soft. So soft in fact, that even though I polished the car just after I bought it, after just 8-10 washes that side of the car was covered in washing scratches.

I gave the car a coating of the same I have used here, Gyeon Mohs. Even after 9 months it had nowhere near the same amount of scratches as before the coating, so this coating definately helps. It won't stop stonechips, car park dents or malicous people with keys but it can help with washing or accidentally catching the lacquer with a ring or a button.

For me the best thing is that the car doesn't get dirty so fast due to the coatings hydrophobic properties, water and the dirt it contains, pretty much just falls off again.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Chris, a nice write up on your Cleaning / Polishing process. If I may ask what is the Applicator you are using around the Black Wheel Arch and what are you applying ?. I use "Tire Wipes" which I pickup in Florida usually for this process but your's seem nice, small and handy - Dave ;)

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

Dave, the applicator I am using in the last picture comes with the Gyeon coating kits. It is mostly hard foam so it is easy to hold and the bottom half a cm is soft to follow any contours. If you look closely I am holding a piece of suede also, as this is the part the coating is applied with and can be thrown away after use. You can buy these applicators separately from the kits if you wish.

On the plastic I am applying Gyeon Trim, it gives a nice dark slightly shiny finish and also protects against UV. Gyeon says it should last over a year, but I am expecting more like 6 months. I also used it on the front and rear lights.

If I get time this weekend I will be coating the wheels with Gyeon Rim.

The only drawback with these coatings is the drying time - minimum 12 hours in a garage or workshop. Drying times can be speeded up with IR lamps, but not many people have those lying around :lol: