Which engine

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
hmd1987

Post by hmd1987 »

Hi everybody.

At the moment I have a 63 plate Audi A1 Sportback (on pcp finance) but with 10month old twins, I need to get a bigger car :)

Been looking at the QQ and the VW Tiguan but I personally prefer the QQ.

Which engine would be best - thinking will end up with diesel, manual and the N Teq spec. I was initally looking at the 1.5 but wondering if that is necessary? Would be hoping to swap for a minimal extra cost really

hmd1987

Post by hmd1987 »

okay just realised I should put a bit more info...

either the 1.2 petrol or the 1.5 diesel. I work 4 days a week which involves going on the motorway but its approx 20miles each way, so not far. Running costs are extremely important - I'm used to getting mayb 350miles out of a 3/4 tank of fuel from my Audi which costs maybe £37?
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Mileage likely to be traveled and loads you are likely to carry would probably alter my suggestion.The 1.5 for high miles longer journeys, the 1.2 petrol for short journeys with the odd longer journey.Unless you really need xtronic or 4wd i can't see necessity in the other engines for most people (although the 1.6 petrol looks interesting).Edit: Just seen your update.The 1.2 should average in the early 40mpg at 65mph.If you like to make progress it'll sink rapidly over 80...Best i've achieved is about 54mpg over a 60 mile motorway journey but it had a few 50mph "average" cameras chucked in.The diesel will do better mpg obviously but has a higher upfront outlay.

AlleyCat2015-03-03 13:17:15
Nissan no more...
hmd1987

Post by hmd1987 »

Thanks very much for that. I think I'm just nervous going from a very quick responding car to, if I go for the 1.2, what might seem sluggish? I'd hope to keep it for a couple of years atleast so with hopefully lots of days out with the growing kids.

I'm also concerned about potentially having to spend even more money on fuel as both engines seem to have lower realistic mpg to what I'm used to.
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

The 1.5 is, from what i've read, pretty frugal on fuel and it did pretty well on my test drive.Having said that I've not found the petrol to be too bad either. I switched from a diesel yeti to the QQ (also worth a look?), but i won't pretend it's anywhere near what is claimed (but what car really ever is).Apart from a little bit of hesitation from a standstill the Petrol is surprising at how well it gets on with the weight it has to lug about (which is why i bought one).It's not going to blow anyone over but it goes well enough on the Motorway / A roads.Like i said above, fuel consumption becomes a major issue if you "push on" in the petrol, but most of the time I'm not bothered to drive like that.I suppose my recommendation is to line up back to back, hour long, tests on the petrol and the diesel.I went in with the expectation of buying the diesel but on hour long back to backs i couldn't justify (with my mileage) the extra outlay.
Nissan no more...
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

I'd suggest the 1.5 dci engine - you do enough miles not to encounter DPF issues I suspect and would probably appreciate the extra torque when fully loaded with double baby equipment!I cover about 2000 miles a month in my 1.5 and don't hang about - averaging 52mpg - get 60+ if taking it easy which you will with your new precious load on-board!
Grocer Jack

Post by Grocer Jack »

I had the previous model 1.5 dci manual which was a bit slugish but turned in goog mpg (not far of Nissans claimed mpg), I belive the new 1.5 is an improved engine.
I now run the new model 1.6dci auto (cvt) mpg is not so good (10mpg less that my previous), however if you want acceleration it's the one to have - it's a scorcher!!
Quashqai 1.6dci Acenta vis tronic pearl black - DOB March 2014 -- Previous Quashqai 1.5dci Acenta (2010)