New PC shopping

The place to discuss everything else..
korky

Post by korky »

So I want to / need to buy a computer for home use. What I can't work out is if I want a windows laptop, desktop or satisfy the itch and buy an iMac!

Now I realise there is a huge price difference here but really want a iMac just don't think I can justify it and am I really going to use to the iMac enough?

Hence do I just buy a windows laptop/desktop...

What am I going to use it for...standard, word, excel, ppt, publisher etc.

I've really got in to creating movies from video clips and photos on iMovie on the phone and ipad and I think that's the thing making me want to get the iMac...

Help me guys and girls - talk me out of getting he iMac or help me work out which I really need!!

iMike

Post by iMike »

You can't beat video editing on a Mac. I switched to an iMac 4 years ago and now i would never go back to a PC. Thats my personal opinion.
1.2DiGT Tekna Storm white, Premium chrome pack
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Buy a Mac mini with loads of ram and hard disk, get good monitor and external dvd driveHalf the price. this is what we did just after xmas when our imac died.
tekna cvt mag red
kawolskijoe

Post by kawolskijoe »

As you mention, it all depends on what you want it for. It sounds like you have reasonably straightforward requirements. If what you have described is all you want a pc for, and you are an existing user of an iPhone (you just mentioned 'phone') and an iPad, then it makes complete sense that you stay in the Apple ecosystem and get an iMac or macbook. That way you will benefit from the devices working together, synchronising your photo's etc. That sort of thing is still possible across different ecosystems of course, but it'll just be easier as the Apple devices are designed to work together.Having said that, if you were a gamer, for example, or need something Windows specific, I would suggest a Windows pc, but it sounds to me like Apple would be the way to go.
kawolskijoe2014-05-23 11:55:26
2014 Qashqai 1.5 dci Acenta Premium
saltylips

Post by saltylips »

Working in IT I have come across this question many times. As mentioned before it all comes down to what you want to do with it.MAC's are good devices in their own little bubble, MAC, IPhone, Internet, photos, aesthetics and email but in MY opinion it ends there. Apple are good at convincing you that "you need one"A PC / Laptop will offer greater flexibility as you can still exist in the Apple Eco system as there are programs available to sync your iphone etc etc and you can have access to a wider range of applications, games etc etcFor the amount of money that you could spend on a MAC i dont think they bring anything to the table to warrant the price tag and getting them fixed / looked at can be harder and cost more.These are purely my own thoughts and opinions. The choice is yours!
korky

Post by korky »

Guys thanks for the above all good info and reading. Yes I'm in the Eco bubble system with the iphone oh and Apple TV aswell!
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

I work with both all day long and most evenings it seems, I totally agree with saltylips (just hope I never meet on a dark night). The Mac allegedly makes things easier but it's not really true - the Mac is a life-style statement nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't actually cost much more than an equivalent PC anymore either.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
korky

Post by korky »

I'll do some looking at specs this weekend and see where we go....all I out appreciated...thank you all
asinrute

Post by asinrute »

I know what Peter and Korky are saying, the head says a windows pc/laptop offer better flexibility and value, but out side of work I use a Macbook Pro which I just love it's just a thing of beauty and a joy to use. I think for me it's a case of the heart ruling the head.
First ever Nissan and ordered a QQ Tekna 1.6 CVT in Blue Cancelled because of delivery delays
korky

Post by korky »

I think nail hit above...heart says apple as they are good at doing what they do.

But head says windows laptop/desktop because so much more flexible

Who knows what I'll walk in to the house with...better not go shopping this long wkend